Getting Audio CD to play with sound under Gnome

Guest kobrien75

Guest kobrien75

I have just installed Mandrake 10.0, I am looking to upgrade to Mandriva 2006 in a couple of weeks. So far my install has went perfectly but it has been almost 2 years since I have run any form of linux so I am very rusty on commands and such. When I pull up the CD player and insert my audio CD I can see that the CD ROM/DVD Writer is mounted and working but there is no sound. At first I thought this may have been a driver issue but I am am to get the sound server started and I am able to get the sounds that GNOME provides to play correctly with no issue. I am not sure if it is the program I am using for CD Audio or what it may be?

Any help would be appreciated.

This is my first post to a message board so if this is not the correct place to post this message please excuse my ignorance and let me know where to place such questions.

Thank you :unsure:

Does your CD-ROM drive have a cable running to your soundcard? This is the simplest fix. Most of the players look for this by default to play your CDs. If you don't have one of these cables, then open the player you would like to use and go through the options looking for digital playback.

Make sure that the audioplayers configuration is pointing to the right device ( /dev/cdrom e.g. ). Unmute all necessary sound channels and check if you are using ALSA or OSS for playback. Switch everything to ALSA.

Guest kobrien75
Does your CD-ROM drive have a cable running to your soundcard? This is the simplest fix. Most of the players look for this by default to play your CDs. If you don't have one of these cables, then open the player you would like to use and go through the options looking for digital playback.

No My player does not have a cable my sound card is on the motherboard. I am not sure how to look at the cd rom through linux to find the digital play back options. Do you have any suggestions?