Wireless network setup help needed [solved]

dude67

I noticed from the diagram that your wireless access point/default gateway is not on the same subnet as your machines.

Your machines use subnet 192.168.245.0 and the access point 192.168.254.0. I would suggest, that since you are using class c subnet of 255.255.255.0 that you put the access point on the same ip range 192.168.245.0.

Therefore:

PC1 - 192.168.245.1

PC2 - 192.168.245.2

AP - 192.168.245.254

Unless of course it's a typing mistake, I only noticed the diagram this morning previously I couldn't see it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I disabled all the other ethX interfaces i.e. Realtek Lan-card and HPNA card. Now I have one for the Firewire, one for the wlan and one was "local loopback". I disabled them as per Ian's instructions (onboot=no) as I wanted to be sure that they are not up (and because it took them ages to start up at boot as Linux was trying to issue them IPs). I believe I have tried the ifdown ethX command several times already.

But there was no change to the IP table and the situation didn't correct itself.

[root@linuxpurkki ~]# ifup ath0
[root@linuxpurkki ~]# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination	 Gateway		 Genmask		 Flags Metric Ref	Use Iface
192.168.254.0   0.0.0.0		 255.255.255.0   U	 10	 0		0 ath0
0.0.0.0		 192.168.254.254 0.0.0.0		 UG	10	 0		0 ath0
[root@linuxpurkki ~]#

Why is the "Destination" marked ...254.0 instead of ...254.2 (as this is configured through drakconnect to be just that)?

I did this with the firewall on - didn't try it shorewall disabled.

BTW I needed to start ath0 manually as it was down for some reason when Linux started.

Shutdown firewall for time being... The loopback interface must be running, it won't not cause any trouble... Remove all security settings on the AP, start ath0, and check from a WinXP box, whether the connection shows in the AP (many of them have an option to show WiFi connections). If it's not on the list, then it's not connected :P

:banana::bananacha:

I managed to connect to internet with my Mandriva Linux! This is my first official connection and posting in Linux.

How did I do it? Well, first I disabled all the security (again) in my wlan AP in WinXP and suddenly I was able to connect to internet in Linux as well... :huh:

Eventually I needed to surf between WinXP and Linux several times before the connection was up and running, but I managed to get the security up with 128-bit key and hidden ESSID.

For those looking for an answer how I got it running, I'm afraid I'm not sure myself... :unsure: I re-typed all the security keys and enabled it several times in winXP and Linux before it was up. So no, I'm afraid I don't have an answer to that question. I may have had a typo in the key or something like that...

:thanks: for everyone that helped my out here! I wouldn't have made it without your help!

:woot_jump: