Wireless network setup help needed [solved]

dude67

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will never show as wlan0 on Mandriva, it will always appear as ath0. Therefore, edit /etc/modprobe.conf so that the line reads:

alias ath0 ndiswrapper

and not wlan0. This is how I got mine working.

Thanks Ian, I believe I've done that already. At first I had it say wlan0, but I managed to change it to ath0 (as per my post a couple of days ago). But I'll double-check when I get home tonight.

If the problem has to do with what you suggested, Qchem, how do I go about finding out?

I may have an idea how to shut down firewall (I remember reading about it somewhere), but what about all the rest you suggested...?

Tell me this though: If I get to see the wireless network on my KDE (lower right hand corner) and I can even see the MAC no of the AP through the wireless network (drakroam), how come I'm unable to contact it (ping it)... This is all beyond my comprehension... :o

It's most likely something very simple and I'm going to be kicking myself for a week for not figuring it out, but that's the case now.

First, check if you have an IP address assigned to the network card. ifconfig -a will suffice for this.

If so, and still no ping, disable the firewall with:

service shorewall stop

and if you still have problems, it could be something to do with ipv6, so you can disable with adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias net-pf-10 off

sometimes disabling apic can help with network cards that experience network connectivity problems. Normally though, I've only experienced this with wired cards like the realtek 8139.

I can post the ifconfig -a right away:

ath0	  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr [MAC no of my wlan card OK]
	  inet addr:192.168.245.1  Bcast:192.168.245.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
	  inet6 addr: fe80::230:4fff:fe39:2441/64 Scope:Link
	  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
	  RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:747 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
	  RX bytes:23 (23.0 b)  TX bytes:31708 (30.9 KiB)
	  Interrupt:21 Memory:d3000000-d3010000

It seems OK to me. I might check if this PC was set to be no. 1 (...245.1) or no. 2 (...245.2) in my winxp where I set the network first up and defined the network to the AP.

I'll try your suggestions tonight, thanks both! I'll keep you posted.

BTW: what is that Brodcast addr? My AP's (gateway) IP is 192.168.245.245.

It's always the .255 of the subnet you're attached to. I think :P

Also, when disabling ipv6, remove this file:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-sit0

since you won't need it anyway.

Nope, couldn't get it to work...

I found out that I didn't even have my firewall on. I then turned it on (even had to install a package for that), tried again: no ping, turned it off: no ping.

I then added the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias net-pf-10 off

No dice.

Rebooted.

No help either.

I didn't remove the ifcfg-sit0 as Ian instructed, but I disabled it .

I then tested this: The network was up and running (according to drakroam), turned the AP off and the network was gone. Turned the power back on and the wlan was up and running again. Just to make sure it really was the wlan drakroam reported.

Any other suggestions...

Here's what my modprobe.conf consists of. Can you see anything wrong with it?

alias eth0 r8169
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
alias eth2 eth1394
install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe ahci; /sbin/modprobe ata_piix; /sbin/modprobe sbp2; /bin/true
remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/true
alias eth1 pcnet32
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias ath0 ndiswrapper
alias net-pf-10 off

Edited by dude67

The problem is still there: I cannot ping anything other than the PC itself. Naturally, Firefox cannot connect to anything (not even the AP).

I have had the signal all along (sorry, if I've been less than clear on that... :unsure: ). I had problems with madwifi before, but now with ndiswrapper I get the signal every time right away at boot (with madwifi I had all sorts of problems including manually needing to fire up wlan connection - to the point where I do get the signal, but can't connect to it).

Current situation is this: I cannot ping my Access Point (even though I receive signal from it), I cannot ping my other PC (running winxp), nor can I ping anything on the internet.

Signal is there, even though it shows only one small bar as an icon. In my winxp the signal is either very good or excellent (all bars or all except one).

I do not understand what's keeping the AP from pinging...

• WEP 128 bit key (reported OK by the signal I get)
  • Allowed MAC nos (all used and unused HW MACs allowed)

The AP is Siemens Speedstream 6515 wireless ADSL modem. It has some sort of firewall in it, but as far as I can tell, it should be cofigured OK. It should at least let me in with my user ID and password to let me configure it, but I cannot find it with my Firefox.

There is some type of DMZ configurable (for gaming purposes I suppose), but I haven't touched it at all.

I could "let the guard down" and disable the firewall, but then my wlan and my ADSL would be wide open. Hmmm... or I could unplug the phonecord to disable my DSL... I'll have a look at that when I get home tonight.