KDE 3.5.1

grendal

I'm thinking of upgrading my mandriva 2006 install to kde 3.5.1. I've never attempted this before, and I'm trying to make sure I have my bases covered. But I have found two sources for the rpms. Thacs and Seer of Souls. I know many have used Thac's rpms, has anyone used Seer of Souls? They way I understand it the SOS kde3.5.1 is a backport off of cooker, what about Thacs?

I'm not looking for either one to be flamed, I just what to know what the differences might be.

Thanks

Official development vs private development would be the difference.

BTW, I have always done better by booting into gnome and removing kde, then installing the new version.

I've never used SOS but I've used the MDE rpms (It's no longer only Thac building it. Ze does a lot of work too :) ) for something like 6 months now. It's completely stable and never had problems. Read the threads in the workbench forum for more information (how to install, trouble shooting etcetc).

Good luck.

Thanks for the quick responses. So who's private and who's offical?

When I said Thac's I meant thac and Ze, but didn't say it. They're the name(s) Im familar with but inlooking at how to do it I ran across SOS, so then I asked this question and got these answers, so I......on and on.......

• 3 weeks later...
SOS packages are using the Mandriva packaging rules while Thac and Ze are not so strict about these rules.

Do they do that with all their packages or is it just something they do on KDE? Because I think following Mandriva's style is a good idea, has anyone been using the SoS packages? I might have a friend moving to Linux next week, and I think Mandriva will do very well for him, and I was wondering if I should give him KDE 3.5.1 and Xorg 6.9 or if he will be happier with the Mandriva provided KDE 3.4.2 and Xorg 6.8.2?

I upgraded today from kde-3.4.2 to kde-3.5.1 using the SOS packages. I followed the instructions on their

web site. I first removed 3.4.2 then installed 3.5.1. In addition tho the SOS instructions i saved the list of

3.4.2 packages and used it to install packages missed (not mentioned) in the SOS instructions.

Of cource it all depensds on what you have installed. Be sure to install kdebase-kdm!!!.

Anyway this kde-3.5.1 works like a charm.

Regards & good luck,

Luc

SOS packages are using the Mandriva packaging rules while Thac and Ze are not so strict about these rules.

Do they do that with all their packages or is it just something they do on KDE? Because I think following Mandriva's style is a good idea, has anyone been using the SoS packages? I might have a friend moving to Linux next week, and I think Mandriva will do very well for him, and I was wondering if I should give him KDE 3.5.1 and Xorg 6.9 or if he will be happier with the Mandriva provided KDE 3.4.2 and Xorg 6.8.2?

Thac and Ze are packaging "only" KDE and its dependencies while SOS are packaging a lot else too like GNOME, Xchat etc.

I updated XFCE from SOS not long ago and it solved some bugs allthogh it still has some more. But I didn't uninstall Mandriva's XFCE before installing I just did an upgrade and that's all. It's working despite the bugs.

Oh and Mandriva has X.org 6.9 not 6.8.2 if you update which is must for 2006.

Edited by dexter11