Ethernet LAN card with MDK 10.1 [solved]

payasam

Have been hoping for a response, Devries. I have by now tried MDK 10.1, MDV 2006, PCLinuxOS and Puppy Linux, all of which give the 8139too as an option but then put me in an endless loop; and Knoppix 3.3, which simply says, "No supported network card found".

Might something be the matter with this particular example of the card? I am able to connect through Windows, but I have never reached a speed over 11 kb/sec although the ISP promises "up to 75". This may of course be the fault of the ISP, which runs faster than I can chase it. I have asked my hardware chap to bring a card not based on Realtek stuff, but he too is playing hard to get.

For the present, then, I can do nothing but look for these "options":

debug

multicast_filter_limit

media

full_duplex

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to thank everyone who tried to help. I'm still where I was, but I generally manage somehow to get to where I want to go. Thanks again.

Mukul Dube

(as Google, window to the world, knows me)

In my last post I'd actually said that the problem had NOT been solved. Now it is solved. At various places on the Net I saw, from what people had said, that the behaviour of the 8139 ethernet card was unpredictable: some examples worked perfectly, others worked less than perfectly, and still others would not work at all. These were supposedly identical. When I changed to a D-Link card, it was recognised immediately.

Glad you managed to get the D-LINK. In hindsight, I should have mentioned this to you (unless I didn't somewhere in this post). I have a system that has an onboard Realtek 8139, which I've disabled, and coincidently, I too have a D-LINK card in this machine :P

In fact, I've never even tried to use the on-board card! But I do know of the problems associated with them and that you can normally get them working with a bit of trouble.

Glad that you managed to swap the card at least, and now spend more time in Linux :beer:

No big deal, Devries. You may have set me on the right track with the lspci output -- or then again, you may not have been able to do that. These 8139s are crazy fellows. Ian, you're easily the biggest contributor to the -- whoosh -- 111 posts here, which must be some sort of record, and you say "with a bit of trouble"? A bit? We have a true master of understatement here.

I did begin properly to rebuild my MDV 2006, but I'm stuck again: no write permission for $HOME. Devil knows how it happened. I guess a failsafe followed by chown or chmod will be needed. In Windows now, alas.

Easy to overcome. I'll assume username "ian". Log into the system as root then do this (if GUI appears CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a console prompt and then):

chown -R ian:ian /home/ian

replace "ian" with your username to fix the write permissions.

I did a chown -R user /home/user because chown -R user.user /home/user failed. It would, I suppose, since I used a full stop rather than a colon. Now to see what I run into on acount of shoving in user rather than user:user -- but Adobe Reader, which didn't run earlier, is now running, and thanks to you I have a heavy weapon in reserve.