Ethernet LAN card with MDK 10.1 [solved]

payasam

OK, Ianw, though why a bicycle should be given different names on different streets is beyond me. Devries, I see what you're driving at, and I'll look at what's readily to be found here. Thanks.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ianw, until such time as I can find a NAT router, is there a shorewall alias firewall you would recommend for MDK 10.1? My hardware chap is a Windows type who knows nothing about Linux. It is possible, of course, that NAT, whatever that is, is something used on both. The web site of the service with which I've signed up says the service will configure my LAN card: but that too applies only to Windows, since there's no mention of Linux anywhere. More important, it says that since I'll have a direct connection to the Internet, some sort of security is advisable.

I would assume by what they mean configures your network card, means it'll assign DHCP so this is no show stopper I would have thought.

I would use shorewall, just urpmi shorewall to install it, or go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Security and set it up in there. Then you can select if you want any ports open for people to access your machine. If not, just enable the firewall and have all inbound ports closed off. This means you can access everything, but people cannot access you.

NAT is Network Address Translation. What this is for is that you can share one public IP addressed assigned by your ISP. Then you say, that any inbound port 21 (for FTP for example) goes to my internal IP address of 192.168.1.2 or whatever. This means it's a bit more secure than giving public IP addresses to your PC itself.

I have discovered over the years, Ianw, that it is unwise to expect people who take your money to give help in return.

The System ... Security route seems the easiest one for me to take just now. For the other, I'd first have to figure out urpmi. Strange that I haven't managed that yet, although the similar tool in Debian was no problem at all.

Thanks generally, and specifically for explaining the NAT router.

It remains to hunt around what to use with this sort of connection. There must be an equivalent for the kppp I've been using for my dial-up and modem.

If it's a LAN card in your machine, and DHCP is being supplied, then I would expect you don't need a dialer to obtain the connection.

Normal broadband over routers are the same when connected by ethernet. Just normal LAN connection, etc. It's only normally with USB attached DSL modems that you require the dialer.

I'd be tempted to find out what they mean with regards to the connection being configured automatically. Is it DHCP or what actually does the automatic config?

I'm confused that they don't provide much information, and just the basics. But then, it's normal from most providers :P

That was quick, Ianw. LAN card, yes, but I don't know about DHCP. Nobody said anything about *automatic* configuration, nor about DHCP. Guess I just wait and hope for the best. Thanks.

Two chaps came in the day and rigged up the cable. An hour later, two others came to set up the connection; but they went away without doing anything since my hardware chap didn't bring the LAN card until the evening. In MDK 10.1 Control Centre, there are two Intex cards listed, but mine -- an 8139D -- isn't. The card came with drivers, including a Linux one, on a floppy, but when I try to install it I just go around in circles.

Unless you need your 8139 for anything, I wouldn't worry about it, since the card you've installed for the internet connection would probably be all you need.

Can you post exactly what make/model the card is, and what steps you've tried to get it installed.

Ianw, the Intex 8139D *is* the LAN card I've just got. I've seen its number (8139) prefixed by other brand names too, so I'd assume it's a commonly used device. Installing the thing in Windows was no problem, but not so in Linux. As I said, Mandrake Control Centre seemed the obvious place to go into, but the card could not be installed. There was, in fact, an annoying side effect: now kppp no longer works with my dial-up modem. The settings are as they were, the modem dials, there is hand-shaking -- but then, although I am connected to my ISP's sever, I cannot get to any POP3 server or even to Google in a browser. Nothing comes into the modem, nothing goes out of it. It continues to work as it did in Windows.

OK, will have a dig on this card and see what I can find out about it. What's the install process for the drivers you have?

I'll check if the current mandy kernel supports this card or not, else we will need to compile a driver into the kernel.

Can you post what it displays for the driver in Windows. Does it show as a Realtek?

Need to find out more, as Index doesn't come up with anything so far.

Install from floppy. I copied all the drivers to a sub-dir in Windows (to be written to CD) and copied the Linux bit to the MDK partition. In Windows it identifies itself as a "Realtek Rtl-8139d Fast Ethernet Adapter".

So this is just a standard network card then, not fibre based? What equipment did they deliver to manage your internet connection?

How does it connect to the internet over this network card in Windows?

Is HardDrake enabled on your machine? This card should get detected no problems, as it'll work with the 8139 module that Mandriva comes with.

Ianw,

1. No equipment delivered, just the cable. My understanding is that no equipment is to be delivered, other than a means of plugging the cable into the LAN card.

2. Haven't yet connected through Windows: the card wasn't here when the men came yesterday to set up the connection. Have said they'll come tomorrow.

3. HardDrake is present, but I've no idea if it's enabled. I'm in Windows now but will go into Linux in a while and look into that.

4. I ought to search for a Realtek driver for Linux. When untarred, the one which came on floppy let out one file with a name made up of nonsense characters. It can safely be expected to be corrupted.

5. Why on Earth should kppp behave as it does? I just can't connect to the Net when in Linux. Haven't so far located the file in which it keeps its settings.

Is the cable they installed a standard ethernet cable? Could be PPPOE, so might require a dialer on the PC itself. That's why I asked how you intiate the new connection from within Windows.

Test it all in Windows first and get it working (the new connection), and then we can start looking at getting it working with Linux.

Righty-ho, Ianw, Windows first; but I intend to go into Linux and see about HardDrake and kppp. The cable ends in a white plastic box which will be crushed if a cockroach steps on it (I'd have liked to say something rude). Just opened it and saw two wires to one terminal and one to the other. Then one wire runs from each terminal to a little phone socket of the new kind. All wires copper, presumably tubular so that they can carry light.

Edited by payasam