Why don't "PeoplePC" dialup connections work in Linux?

wilcal

I have stumbled across a situation that I'd like

to post for comments here. A friend purchased a

peoplepc.com dial-up account. I was setting up

her laptop with Puppy Linux and I was unable to

get Puppy to connected into her dial-up PeoplePC

connection. I tried a real WinBlows XP system

with a 56Kb modem and that too did not work.

My question is do the Dial-up connections using

"Accelerated" feature mean that you really have

to use their software and exclusively only on

WinBlows systems? It seems that way.

I have sent a message asking the same to

info@peoplepc.com

and not gotten a response.

Thanks

Quoting from their site:

PeoplePC Online Accelerated is only compatible with PeoplePC Online Internet service and specified WindowsTM browsers. PeoplePC Online Accelerated is not Windows 95 compatible.

So it seems that they use some winsock2 based dialer, and "accelerate" by using a dedicated proxy, accessed via their software. In short, I wouldn't put high hopes on making it work under Linux.

I wouldn't put high hopes on making it work under Linux.

Rats. Thanks. That's kinda what I thought.

It does not even work with WinBlows XP dialer. I tried it.

You gotta be using their software on a WinBlows platform.

I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

the dialup service I use has that "Accelerated" crap and win software but it's not required, they say. I asked first. Linux is fine...what's funny is we don't use the software even in win (does anyone? I wanna see what I'm supposed to see even if I have to wait twice as long to see it) so if my wife is in wndows doing something win is needed for, like printing (driver stinks in linux for our printer) and just wants to jump on the internet for a few minutes, goes to a forum, or anything that requires text entry, it doesn't want to work :lol2: ....have to go into linux :thumbs:

I would ask, because if it didn't work in win, then it could be that the handshake isn't being established. You have to realize when they say "windows" they don't expect anyone to know about anything else except mac anyway or for anyone to even understand how the service works. It's their way of saying "It'll work for you!". Not, "if you use linux get lost".

Edited by bvc

• 2 weeks later...

There may be a way to get peoplepc to work with linux. Although im a noobie to linux, i know in windows, once you know the phone number that the modem dials, u can set that up in a normal dialup window instead of peoplepc's program. my girlfriends uncle did that and it works perfectly. maybe its worth a try? oh, u wouldnt have the fast "acceleration"

-Shayner

These types of "accelerators" use a threaded technology that is dependent upon the software. Certain download programs use the same thing. It makes multiple calls for different bits of data at the same time. Going from dialup to accelerator might see a difference. Dish, dsl, or cable are still so much faster that the difference to those users is negligible.

oh boy

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...138&hl=peoplepc

I have tried PeoplePC techs for over 3 weeks, but they won't tell me. The crazy thing is if I use Kppp, I connect every time.

I say this because today, my internet stopped working in linux but still works in xp. So I joined peoplepc for the fun of it. Same thing. Wvdial spits out a ton of characters, starts pppd, disconnects and redials.

Sad, the internet is ran on nix and we can't use dialup :lol2:

I guess I have no choice but to bloat my install and manually download kppp/dependencies and manually install them just to see if it works :wall:

lame...

sick world we live in.....

I say this because today, my internet stopped working in linux but still works in xp. So I joined peoplepc for the fun of it. Same thing. Wvdial spits out a ton of characters, starts pppd, disconnects and redials.

File a bug and make that sick sad world one bit better! :D

iphitus

the prob with that is ...it's not a bug, considering it happened to 2 diff distros that are over a year old

I'm not going to add this to the other 80% of bug reports that are not bugs at all

Found out today that no changes were made on the isp end

So, what happened is...

-modem is disconnected by the user (my wife, not root ...he was at work)

-20 minutes later it dials on its own (have I been cracked?)

-user disconnects while it was still making the connection

-only works in xp...does not work in linux

so I see 2 or 3 possibilities

1. hardware failure

It's the #1 all time modem (USR 5686 external) and is over 3 years old

but why only fail in linux? ...just doesn't fly with me....any hardware guru see that as a possibility?

2. I was cracked, which explains why it dialed 'on its own', and maybe a ppp script was screwed with?

...this happened with a user logged in, but root would have had to be cracked because my ubuntu partition would have had to been enabled from ml2005le's fstab and the same done to it. Possible but....

3. isp did something and the 2 people we talked to doesn't know it

The isp is MyLinuxISP but they have sold out to internet america (loosers)

So the 'we don't support linux' doesn't get them far with me on the phone, even though it's true now, it's false advertising

I have been using copper.net for a while too. Does a decent job, but my phone line is crap. (i live in the country).
do you use kppp (KDE)? or some other method to connect (wvdial) (...and in GNOME)? Do they have a download limit? I see they have a connection time limit, but that's not a prob.

I tried kppp but it doesn't get it done either. Pppd times out (error 10). I've checked all the settings and config files in both distros. I either need to uninstall/reinstall ppp stuff and delete all left over files in pkgs, and/or get a new modem, I guess.

sick of using xp/firefox!

oooo....I wonder where I put that ubuntu livecd?

Edited by bvc

oooo....I wonder where I put that ubuntu livecd?
threw it and all the other outdated distros about 3 months ago. I did have an ubuntu hoary iso laying around, so I burned it to cd and installed it to a spare partition. Still no go, so I went and bought a Best Data external serial modem and linux works again. Weird. Wonder what kind of hardware failure allows a modem to work in win and not linux?

On a side....about 2 or 3 years ago I paid 70$ for the USR5686 and 3 months later they were down to $40 and on clearence for $20. I almost (wish I did) bought one for a backup/extra. Today? $100 :unsure: ...am I missing something here? Guess they caught wind of the need for these suckers :wall:

Also, peoplepc.com does work in linux as does airmail.net and copper.net.

For my area and phone line, copper.net seems best.

/me has a headache

Edited by bvc