Mandriva 2006: Where is Tux racer? [solved]

Helmut

I have both the kde and gnome ones installed too. On mine, seems to be under More Applications/Games/Arcade.

I'm not sure if it's the same or not, but it's got snow and stuff. My laptop doesn't have OpenGL enabled, because the graphics card is pants, so I can't even run it to double-check and make sure :P

From the release notes:

As Tux Racer has not been free software for a while, in Mandriva Linux 2006 it is replaced by Planet Penguin Racer, which is continuation of the Tux Racer project that was 'forked' from the last GPL version of Tux Racer. It is found in package 'ppracer' and in the menus under More Applications / Games / Arcade / Ppracer. If you previously had tuxracer installed and do an upgrade to 2006, you will find you now have ppracer instead.

Thanks inanw, thanks spiny.

Found Tux racer as "pp-racer".

After installation it wanted the Nvidia drivers. There were error messages almost to the end of the progress-bar "could not precompile kernel" or something like that. This morning I tried copying the error log (/var/log/nvidialog) but it just wasn't there any more. Gone!

Will try again after work and then save the error log on floppy. Will report the results.

Thanks,

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

You might need your kernel-source installed if installing the nvidia drivers that you downloaded direct from nvidia. Check it's installed by:

ls -l /usr/src
rpm -qa kernel-source

both those commands will check. The first one, sees if it exists in /usr/src, and whether there is a symlink called "linux" pointing to the kernel version. The second, checks the rpm database to see if it's installed or not. Of course, if the first command is fulfilled, then the second one should give results :P

You can use:

urpmi kernel-source

which gives you a list of ones to install. I think one is stripped and one is multimedia, so you just want the other one. Depending on your kernel version, of course. So, first:

uname -r (check version, to compare for kernel install
urpmi kernel-source (and choose the one that matches your kernel)

The default kernel on Mandriva 2006 is kernel-2.6.12.12mdk. The kernel source is something like kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12.12.

I went through this a few days ago. The "kernel sources" thing turned out to be a red herring (although I now have a nice shiny new 2.6.11-13 kernel to show for it).

If you read the install log file, you may find (as I did) that the kernel object failed to load because it could not find a free IRQ for the graphics card to use. If this is the case, the solution to this is to modify some of the Plug-and-Play settings in the BIOS, as detailed in the same log file.

Thanks ianw74, but it won't work.

After ppracer was installed, it wanted the nvidia drivers and that won't install This happens:

Code:

ls -l /usr/src

answer: total 12

drwxr-xr-x Linux-2.6.12-14mdk ( and others etc..)

Code:

rpm -qa kernel-source

answer: no answer, nothing happens!

Code: urpmi kernel-source

answer: The packages are already installed"

Code: uname -r

answer: 2.6.12-14mdk

When installing "sh NVIDIA.....8178... " it first seems to work, but an error message comes:

"unable to load the kernel module "nvidia.ko" (With the older NVIDIA....7187.. drivers the same happens.)

The file /var/log.. also says on the bottom: "unable to load the kernel module "nvidia.ko" and also lists dozens(!) of error messages I cannot and probably will never be able to understand.

I'm truly baffled and haven't the faintest clue what to do.

(I'm particularly ashamed to say this as I have a recent PhD in "Engineering with an Emphasis in Digital Technology" with GPA 4 out of 4 ... This isn't funny at all!)

regards,

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

Does /usr/src/linux point to /usr/src/linux-2.6.12.14?

There's also a newer source out now 2.6.12.15 in the urpmi repositories. Try the info that sellis reported, as it could be this that you're experiencing, rather than kernel source issues.

Unless of course, /usr/src/linux isn't pointing to the correct source.

Thanks, Guys!

Its not an IRQ issue. Thanks Ghil and Sellis.

with code: uname -r it comes up with 2.6.12-14mdk

and code: ls -l /usr/src includes 2.6.12-14mdk,

so I asume the sources are OK.

Ianw1974, I will check after getting back home tonight. Thanks.

Helmut

Edited by Helmut