XP as a gateway...

Guest frew

Right, there is no "share network connection" But if I go into the properties and under the "Advanced" tab I can "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connects." I already have that enabled and it still doesn't work. :(

sorry i only have the german version of xp... what you discribed looks pretty much like the setting i was refering to... ok now dial in with xp. try pining things with your other network computers.

did you set the xp machine as default gateway and primary dns on your eth0 ?

AFAIK, the Windows XP internet connection sharing runs a mini dhcp server, which can tell your linux box all the right settings (netmask, dns, gateway etc), so maybe just try using dhcp, and it should all work.

If you don't want to, chances are the Windows XP box has setup DNS forwarding, so set it as your DNS.

And, before you decide on this, scan your box at http://scan.sygatetech.com, and if *anything* is open, show your stepdad. At least with linux you can get everything marked as "blocked" (aka invisible).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest southernguy

phooey on M$ internet sharing. :) goto www.kerio.com and get winroute and put it on that XP machine. be aware tho it is not free for the pro version, and i dont know how many machines you can run behind the lite version.

when you configure it and when you configure the rest of the network, disable anything having to do with internet sharing or firewalling in the XP stuff and set winroute up to do your protecting. you will have to make any firewall rules in it that you need, it does not have any by default. also when you configure winroute, and the linux boxes, dont even think of the XP box as 'windows' just think of it as a router.

if you need help configuring winroute ask me. but certain applications i might have to install myself if i havent used them and then i can tell you what i did to get them to work behind it. but i already have mandrake 9.0 running smooth as glass behind an XP/WinRoute gateway.

oh before i forget look in your protocols in the networking on the XP box, if you see something called QoS Scheduler, uninstall it. you really really do not want to trust a microsoft application to do bandwidth shaping.

Guest southernguy

hey if they are paying for it thats really the best anyway even if it is overkill. if its a router with any balls you can set up load balancing and stuff on it so if someone else is a bandwidth hog it doesnt kill YOUR pipe and you dont kill theirs either.