XP as a gateway...

Guest frew

Hey all. My stepdad decided he didn't like linux being the gateway so he changed it to XP, this, obviously, means that none of the other computers in the house can go online. He made the network setup disk and prompted me to use it and that it would work on all OSes, I put it in and ran it with wine since I knew it wouldn't work anyway and of course it said my windows version was incompatible. Has anyone here done this before? I can ping the windows box, but I cannot ping the outside DNS server and the windows box doesn't forward DNS info. PLEASE HELP!

Can you just use static ip for yourself and enter the relevant information such as the gateway (which is the XP ip) and the outside DNS ip (gotten from XP, I am not sure wheter the ipconfig command still in XP) That's what I did when mandrake 9.0 is not smart enough to use dhcp to figure out the network configuration to my friend's cablemodem router /switch .

Well I have myself as a static ip because I need one as it is. I have XP as the gateway already, and I can ping it so that's cool. But: #1 when I run ifconfig XP leaves the DNS area blank and #2 I did a whois on my provider (bellsouth.net) and got some DNS server IPs and I can't ping them. :?

To simplify this is a list of things that could be wrong:

I think those are my main issues. I am fearful that it is the latter. Please help me!

Well, I just thought I would show what happens when I ping my current DNS (which has never had problems before):

PING 205.152.27.252 (205.152.27.252) from 192.168.0.3 : 56(84) bytes of data.

From 192.168.0.3 icmp_seq=1 Dest Unreachable, Bad Code: 10

and on and on...

i was going to post but im 2 drunk now, i will in the morning, but hope u sort it out befor then but try and ping another ip 80.194.93.100 thats mine, ive just turned the fire wall off noo one try to hack it pls. if it routes through to me then ild say its a problem with your isp if not ild give u a more sencible responce tomorrow

sorry :oops:

Haha, thanks. It did the same thing. I think that it must be XP not routing my packets. Arg, this is one of the few times I have wished that I had another windows box (to test the configuration).

hi there

can u please post a short description of how your lan is configured?

from what i read i think the xp "gateway" connects to the internet und uses microsofts ics to forward the connection to the lan. your mandrake box therefore sits behind the xp gateway. If XP is configured right (i don´t think so) you only have to enter its ip for your default gateway and dns server. do this via netconf or the mandrake control center.

try pinging something outside the lan by name and by ip adress to see if gateway and dns works.

Internet connects to XP. XP connects to LAN. All comps already have it as gateway. I can't ping google, or an ip address. I think you are right. BTW it is XP home.

I would be wary of xp

I know from experience that if you stick an xp box on a peer to peer network with 98se and ME computers it does screwy thing to the network even when it is not the gateway.

Why don't you use your computer as the gateway?

As your father thought that he could use the win xp disk to setup your linux box maybe you should tell him that he obviously doesn't know enough about computers to make descisions about the network setup :wink: im sure that would go down well!

It is not my choice. The XP box has to at least be on the network, but as I said before, my step-dad wants it to be the gateway. I wouldn't mind (in fact, life would be easier) if he was the gateway and it worked. But it doesn't, and I beleive the reason he did it was to say that he is in control and I am not, which is fine with me as I am not a tyrant, and this isn't like, a family issue, I just wanna get online on my own comp. I may try to get him to let me just be the gateway.

tell your l33t step-dad to configure his mighty xp machine to use "microsoft internet connection sharing" this will configure his ip to "192.168.0.1". i think this option can be set in the properties of the ras connection.

forget about the stupid setup disc and use the ip 192.168.0.2 for your computer, .0.1 for gateway and .0.1 for primary dns... now if he goes online you should be able to ping servers by ip and by name.

with xp ics as gateway you loose the freedom of using other ip address ranges than 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 / 255.255.255.0 (192.168.0.0/24 you know?).

Well since my step dad is really silly he is trying to get me to configure the xp box (even though I told him that it was silly before he did this) So I can do all the configuring my self. I actually just ran the wizard as doing the setup manually only works once... I enabled ics but I'll try again.

the wizard suxx anyway... just right-click on your favorite ras-connection and select "share network connection" (or similar)... xp will than reconfigure its ip address etc.