Mandriva 2006 cannot recognize my SATA drives

Guest zhuqing8027

Guest zhuqing8027

First hardwares on my machine:

Foxconn 755A01-6EKRS Socket 754 SiS 755 motherboard, athlon 64 3400+, 1G PC3200 ram, ati 9200 mobility, two 200G-sata, one 200G-IDE, one 160G-IDE.

Here is the problem: Mandriva 2006 hardly can recognize all my drives at the partitioning part of the installation, usually I could only see my two IDE drives and maybe one of the sata drives. So I restarted the installation, and finally I was lucky once to see all my hard drives and install Mandriva 2006 on a sata drive. But after installation the system would not boot up because the sata drives cannot be recognized by Mandriva 2006. Then I switched to the 160G-IDE drive to install the system, and this time I can login to the system, but I still cannot find any partition of my sata drives under /dev.

When I was using Mandriva 2005 LE, I had no problem to have all my drives mounted in the system. Does Mandriva 2006 have less compatibility than 2005?

Any ideas and suggestions? Thank you.

The drives need to be recognized by the bios (make sure to boot from the correct HD) and by lilo. After that Mandriva kicks in. I had the same problem as you getting my drives to be recognized by Mandriva2006 but after i had partioned them with le2005 the installation went fine and have no problems booting into 2006.

• 1 month later...

SATA recognizing problem appears more often in x86-64 versions, be LE2005 or 2006. Seems to be a "cooker-related" or "halfbakery" issue: MS style, 64bit distros were labeled "official" 'cause of marketing rush (When came x64 Fedoras, SUSEs BSDs out, related to Mandriva's?), not because they were readily ready for stable use.

I've seen this since I got my brand new AMD Athlon 64 "OS-proof" white box (all-generic components) some months ago and tried first to install 2006-64. Whatever you attempt, installer simply fails to see the SATA disc, or if it does, Lilo fails to boot (but it in fact loads!) after one hour of butt-painstaking installation and update-download.

First of all, disable all new-tech disc features in BIOS, and wherever you find it, choose to make the disc appear as anything but RAID (i.e. PATA, IDE, etc.).

May be the case (as sometimes is mine) that Mdk installer sees disk only if RAID is active in BIOS, but after installation never boots, or if it boots, your Windoze system partition results unreadable for Win-loader (but it also loads!)... If you don't want dual-boot, play a little with that of Raid-noRaid thing. But if dual-boot is a need for you (i.e., your wife doesn't know of anything but Windoze), try installing an i586 (32 bit) version by now, noRaid BIOS mode.

MDK LE2005 (mostly) and 2006 (less) for i586 pass neatly over SATA recognition most of times; it's a pity to have a Ferrari running with a Civic engine (a 64 bit system stripped to 32 bit), but it will work while full-fledged x84-64 versions arrive (let's later talk about X server issues in 2006-64) and, of course, usable 64bit apps.

Edited by tlahtopil

MDK 2005LE (mostly) and 2006 (less) for i586 pass neatly over SATA recognition most of times; it's a pity to have a Ferrari running with a Civic engine (a 64 bit system stripped to 32 bit), but it will work while full-fledged x84-64 versions arrive (let's later talk about X server issues in 2006-64) and, of course, usable 64bit apps.

Hardly, x86 is still much much better at the userspace level, and few applications actually need a 64bit processor. In using a 64bit distro, you'll find that in a lot of places which would have benefitted from 64bit, you end up using the 32bit chroot, such as multimedia, many games, and other things. x86-64 isnt really that great on linux, nor windows.

Linux SATA is in a state of heavy development, it's constantly changing. It's gone through some great changes in the last year.

However it doesnt help that mandrake ships with 2.6.12, which is 9 months old now.

Edited by iphitus

20060317 update: Has anyone around here tried with a "paid" distro? I'm reading at Mandriva products page that boxed LE2005 has (verbatim) "enhanced Hardware support... * Full support for Adaptec Host RAID controllers (RAID, SCSI, SATA)"...

It's +/-30 USD/EUR these days... I'm thinking seriously about buying it, but money isn't an issue of give-away for we the freesoft advocates, is it? "Free" as "freedom" also means "free not to waste my money".

So, if anyone in this forum has tried succesfuly boxed LE2005 with SATA discs, let me know, please.