Maybe I just got the wrong distro?

ilia_kr

Mandriva2005-LE (which was really 10.2) was a hell of an improvement over 10.1 and has proven to be more advanced and stable than 10.1 ever was. Therefore Daniel made an excellent suggestion which would be very worthwhile your considering.

Cheers. John.

Mandriva2005-LE (which was really 10.2) was a hell of an improvement over 10.1 and has proven to be more advanced and stable than 10.1 ever was. Therefore Daniel made an excellent suggestion which would be very worthwhile your considering.

Cheers. John.

What version of KDE/GNOME does it use? I afraid that newer versions will slow me down...

I agree with John. 2005 was more stable for me. Long uptimes were not uncommon. But I don't know that the differences in those three distros (10.1, 2005 or 2006) would make or break the performance on that machine. It is a hobby machine and consequently not the beefiest box. We all have one.

Ilia, while unnecessary services might be an issue, you say you've disabled them. There are alot of unnecessary ones. Good job on that.

For me the issue is the wm. I'm a KDE fan too, but sometimes I've had to concede. My work machine is a p4 with 256 MB RAM. Great workstation. But, I had to choose a different (non-KDE) window manager in order for the machine to be reasoanbly usable. This was simply from a standpoint that KDE uses too much RAM.

I chose windowmaker. Why? It's pretty quick. It's pretty and it's really customizable. If I had the time, I'd be running Fluxbox. Uber-light. Super-duper customizable. It even allows the use of KDE-APPS in a docked fashion. It cuts down my running processes from about 100 (still way too many even in KDE) to about 60. Serious difference in performance.

While Linux is remarkably fast, the window managers really do make a difference. I hope this helps sway your decision to a lighter wm (perhaps other than XFce).

While Linux is remarkably fast, the window managers really do make a difference. I hope this helps sway your decision to a lighter wm (perhaps other than XFce).

Yes, i understand what you're saying. During last two weeks i reinstalled various versions of MDK for 3 times, all becouse my unsuccessfull experiments. I started with installing xfce4 on 10.1 and it didn't want to work properly: i had missing taskbar and it crushed randomly. I thought that's about time for me to upgrade to 2006, so i updated 10.1 - total disaster. MCC crushed, urpmi didn't work, KDE stalled... I formatted and reinstalled. 2006 is a good peace of software, but terrebly slow, even with xfce4 that i mannaged to install eventually. And then, i went back to 10.1 - that never coused me any trouble. If i'll have to reinstall something one more time - there is a good chanse that i would kill someone :wall: ==> :hanged:

P.S. If i'll change my mind, is one CD enough for updating from 10.1 to 10.2?

Thanks

If not on fast net connection then you'd better have the whole 3-CD set... upgrading on dialup is a pain.

For old hardware, Vector Linux (= customized Slackware) is a very good distro. Default DM is now XFCE4, but you can also use IceWM and, if you wish, KDE.

Edited by scarecrow

I've been using Mandriva 2006 with KDE on a 733 mhz Pent3 with no problems with speed. I suppose if I had it installed on a newer machine, I would probably complain about it being slow as molasses, but, alas, I'm not jaded by having a Linux uber-machine :P

Some apps do load a little slow, but its still faster than the Windows XP install I have on the other hard drive.

The main problem with Mandriva is not the machine, nor KDE, but the kernel, which is stuffed with all sorts of oddities and is dog slow...

The stock Vector kernel is not vanilla, but it has just a few necessary patches, and since it fits your hardware it should boot and act ages faster than a stock Mandriva kernel.