Firefox 1.5.0.1 Fresh Install [Resolved]

Scythe

Good day,

I have Mandriva 2006, just got it working (finally) with my Wireless USB adapter after a couple months (on and off) trying. Now I'm doing the updates and I'm trying to get the latest Firefox version.

So I downloaded the tarball from the Mozilla site and extracted it to my /usr/local/ folder. Then I made a shortcut to it and tried running the program. The taskbar button pops up and the cursor does the little hourglass-turning-to-show-its-working thing, but then the taskbar button disappears and nothing happens.

I'm new to Linux (I know, I hate it when newbs ask questions too ;) ) so there could be something I've overlooked.

I would be thankful if someone could help.

Edited by Scythe

Since you put Firefox in a global directory (/usr/local, same as I use) it should be run once as root. Just open it as root, go to any page and close it.

Also, Firefox should really be run from a symlink, not directly from the executable script. To do it, I put a symlink in /usr/local/bin pointing to /usr/local/firefox/firefox. I also run Thunderbird, OpenOffice swriter, scalc - any stuff like that installed from website packages instead of MDV rpms - from symlinks in /usr/local/bin.

You may also need to start a new profile, but I'm still using the same one I started with Firefox 0.9 and 1.5.0.1 runs fine.

Why not use the Mandriva rpm? It's available in updates.

When I go to "Configure Your System" to do updates, it doesn't show up. It updated to version 1.0.7 and then no others showed up after that.

Is the link to the rpm available on the Mandriva website? I can't for the life of me find one.

Since you put Firefox in a global directory (/usr/local, same as I use) it should be run once as root. Just open it as root, go to any page and close it.

Also, Firefox should really be run from a symlink, not directly from the executable script. To do it, I put a symlink in /usr/local/bin pointing to /usr/local/firefox/firefox. I also run Thunderbird, OpenOffice swriter, scalc - any stuff like that installed from website packages instead of MDV rpms - from symlinks in /usr/local/bin.

You may also need to start a new profile, but I'm still using the same one I started with Firefox 0.9 and 1.5.0.1 runs fine.

Could you show me how I would do this, please? :)

Edited by Scythe

I have my sources configured using Easy Urpmi. (top of the page) If they are not on the main directory, then one of my sources has it. I'll check it out.

Sycthe wrote:

Could you show me how I would do this, please?

I assume you mean how to make symlinks to run Firefox, Thunderbird, etc, and that you know how to 'su' to root since you installed the Firefox tarball in /usr/local/firefox. This can be done from various GUI file managers if run as root (or Midnight Commander is very good for this kind of stuff) but it's pretty easy from a terminal, so I'll show you that method.

Open a terminal and navigate to the directory where you want to create the symlink:

$ cd /usr/local/bin

Now 'su' to become root and make the link with the 'ln' command (the '-s' option specifies that it be a symlink, not a 'hard' link):

# ln -s /usr/local/firefox/firefox

That should do it. Hereafter, to launch Firefox from a desktop icon, hotkey, whatever, aim it at /usr/local/bin/firefox. Since it has been created as root, the link will work for all users.

Ok, I did everything you said, moved the files, symlinked the Firefox executable. Then I right-clicked on the desktop and made a new "link to application" and made it reference to /usr/local/bin/firefox. I still get the same result as in my original post, unfortunately. Is there some special way I need to make the desktop icon?

I did everything you said...

Did you run it once as root, go to a (safe) webpage and close it?

...moved the files,

Moved files? I didn't say anything about moving files. What did you move?

Then I right-clicked on the desktop and made a new "link to application" and made it reference to /usr/local/bin/firefox.

Sounds ok, you gave it the right path. I don't remember much about KDE desktop icons, but if the icon even tries to start Firefox then it should be working and it or the link you created are not the problem.

Try 2 things. First, open a terminal and run Firefox manually from there, i.e. simply:

$ firefox

That may give some error messages that will give away what the problem is. Post any errors here.

Second, run the Firefox profile manager as so:

$ firefox -profilemanager

Create a new profile named 'Test' or whatever and see if Firefox runs right using that new profile. For more details on managing profiles go here:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

I do the command

$ firefox

and get the following error message:

/usr/local/firefox1501/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I think I forgot to mention that I already had Firefox 1.0.7 installed on the system beforehand, if that makes a difference.