USB mouse with laptop [solved]

neddie

Hi all,

I'm using Mandriva 2005 on a laptop, and sometimes I use an external mouse or trackball via the USB, sometimes not. The strange thing is that if the mouse/ball isn't plugged in at boot, then it doesn't recognise it when I plug it in, and even restarting X doesn't do the trick. I end up rebooting just to use the mouse, which is a pain.

The other odd thing is that my /etc/X11/xorg.conf seems to be rewritten at boot, overwriting my changes. For example, I boot without a mouse, and then edit the xorg.conf to disable 'tapping' and disable horizontal scrolling (both drive me nuts with accidental brushes on the touchpad). All's good, even after a reboot, until I boot with the mouse in. Then my xorg.conf gets rewritten (with an extra 'Section "InputDevice"' bit) and I get my tapping and horizontal scrolling back. Grrr. I reboot without the mouse and the xorg.conf gets rewritten again. Grrr.

Any idea how I can stop this? I thought about trying to make the xorg.conf not writable, but I'm guessing that's asking for other problems. Or I guess there are manual hacks possible, automatically copying another xorg.conf over the real one immediately after it's been automatically rewritten by whatever, but that's a bit ugly, and I'm guessing wouldn't get run until too late anyway.

Any ideas?

Edited by neddie

I experienced the same stuff until I updated x.org and madrake tools. Then it began behaving the same whether in windows or linux. I use a microsoft laptop mouse, and there was somthing about it using a non-standard protocol with the buttons. I googled it and found an edit, but after updating it was all fixed.

No, I have harddrake disabled in LE2005 and my usb laptop mouse works fine. I can connect and disconnect it with no problem. What harddrake will do if running at boot is detect that your mouse isn't connected and automatically edit xorg.conf to coincide with this hardware change. I think scarecrow has this one right.

Edited by pmpatrick

Blimey, it really was that simple! :lol:

Fixed both problems, my tapping and scrolling now stay disabled and I can plug in the mouse after a mouseless boot! Yay! (And the USB stick still gets recognised too). I guess the only downside is that if I add some other hardware then it won't get automatically found, but that doesn't sound too tragic.

Thanks guys, faultless service as ever! :thumbs: