Set Linux Server as subdomain [solved]

iNFERiON

I have installed a Mandriva 2006 server to run inside our company as wiki server. It is connected to our domain, but how do I set it to be reached under computername.domain.com ? Like I did "# hostname wiki" and then when I locally check for wiki.domain.com it exists, but when I try to reach that subdomain from an outside box, it does not connect. How do I properly set the name of the PC to be reachable as subdomain ? The Linux server itself is not a domain controller, we have a Windows Server 2003 box doing that. But every client inside our building is pingable and reachable under pcname.domain.com, except for the Linux box. What am I doing wrong ?

You would either have to configure every single hosts file on every machine to use the subdomain with the ip address of the machine in question.

The best method is to ensure you are running your own dns server, and add the entry here. If you don't have one, bind can be installed, and configured, and then all machines need to point here for their dns lookups.

EDIT: Your Windows system will have dns entries for all their machines, so you may just need to add the linux box into your windows dns and then you should be set.

Thank you for the fast replies. Will try messing with the windows server settings. Would it work if I edited the Windows servers' hosts file and added the linux box as a alias, so etc, I would have a hosts file like this:

wikiserver 192.168.0.1

And that it would be known to all clients as wikiserver.domain.com ?

No, that would work for the windows server. It wouldn't work for any other workstations.

You should be able to enter a record into the DNS on the windows server to get around this problem.