no graphic display [solved]

Guest wolferd

Guest wolferd

I installed Mandriva 2006 a several months ago - things working fine. About a month ago I updated the programs I had already installed. When I rebooted I had lost my graphic display. I still had cl that seemed to work fine, but that was all.

Thinking something had gone amiss, I reinstalled from cd and everything was fine. Then I did the online update and I was back to a command line.

System can also boot into xp, ubuntu, fc4, suse 10 - and all work fine. Only have problem with Mandriva, and it only showed up after online update about a month ago.

Dell 4700 with Dell flat monitor, 512mb ram, 3.0 ghz processor.

Thank

wolferd

I encountered a similar problem after an online update of xfree (supposed to fix some screen artifacts). Reinstalled 2006 free from disk, graphical interface back, and I am waiting a bit to upload the xfree update again. I will be interested to hear your resolution as it may resolve my problem as well.

Regards -- Roger

Guest wolferd
Have you tried issuing the command startx at the cli prompt? If so, what happens? It could be that your inittab got changed somehow, or it could be that you need to reinstall video drivers.

I tried startx, xorgcfg, and X -configure.

startx generated several errors and a warning

EE

1- Failed to load module "fglrx"

2. No devices detected

WW

1. RADEON - No matching device section for instance found.

My card is a RADEON X300, which is not listed the the Xorg.0.log - that may be the root of the problem, but it worked fine until the Jan update.

If you have interest in looking at the log, it is at http://www.thewolfehouse.com/Xorg.0.log

I thought it interesting that there was also an Xorg.9.log which was apparently generated when I did the reinstall, which worked fine, and the update, which killed it. That log is here http://www.thewolfehouse.com/Xorg.9.log

Running Xorgcfg locked everything up with a message saying "Cannot display this video mode"

I did not install any video drivers or anything else. I just told it to update the installed programs, as I do from time to time.

Thanks for looking at this.

wolferd

I encountered a similar problem after an online update of xfree (supposed to fix some screen artifacts). Reinstalled 2006 free from disk, graphical interface back, and I am waiting a bit to upload the xfree update again. I will be interested to hear your resolution as it may resolve my problem as well.

Regards -- Roger

Roger,

If I can't get this worked out, I may just reinstall and forego the updates. I kind of hate to do that and would really prefer to get this straightened out. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Dell video card (RADEON X300).

Stay tuned.

wolferd

What video card are you running? Did you install any additional drivers from ATI or NVIDIA before you did the update?

It is a RADEON X300 - if you ordered a separate video card, that is what Dell put in their 4700 Desktops that had the E173FP monitor 14 months ago when I bought this.

I did not install any additional drivers, just did the update.

Thanks.

From my own experience, I find that whenever I install an update of anything to do with X or installing and using an updated kernel (ALWAYS with the matching kernel-source) that it is necessary to reinstall the video driver. With Nvidia it is easy but for any other video card I would suspect the same to be necessary.

It may well be that the updated driver no longer covers your card so it may be necessary to get an earlier version of the driver that did cover your card.

John.

Apparently, you need to reinstall ATI's driver for your radeon videocard.

How did you install it on a fresh system in the first place? Did it come with the Mandriva CDs or did you have to download and install it?

In the past, you could only get ATI driver if you purchased the official powerpack or if you are a Club member. After that, official updates were only availble to Club memebers :pissedoff: . If you are not a club member then you have to download and install the driver from ATI.

Guest wolferd
From my own experience, I find that whenever I install an update of anything to do with X or installing and using an updated kernel (ALWAYS with the matching kernel-source) that it is necessary to reinstall the video driver. With Nvidia it is easy but for any other video card I would suspect the same to be necessary.

It may well be that the updated driver no longer covers your card so it may be necessary to get an earlier version of the driver that did cover your card.

John.

John,

I am bakc up and running. I put the original installation disks back in and said I wanted to upgrade the existing installation. When I got to the configuration set up, I changed the video driver from the radeon vendor driver to the radeon one listed under xorg.

Oddly enough, when I booted it back up I did not have an internet connection and had to reconfigure my ethernet card.

But, as I say, all appears ok now.

I see there are a lot of updates available. But I don't see anything that looks like it would apply to X.

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction.

wolferd

Apparently, you need to reinstall ATI's driver for your radeon videocard.

How did you install it on a fresh system in the first place? Did it come with the Mandriva CDs or did you have to download and install it?

In the past, you could only get ATI driver if you purchased the official powerpack or if you are a Club member. After that, official updates were only availble to Club memebers :pissedoff: . If you are not a club member then you have to download and install the driver from ATI.

I have 4 powerpack cds. All the drivers I originally needed came with it.

As mentioned in the previous post, I got it running again by changine the video driver from the radeon vendor driver to the xorg radeon driver.

All seems to be well.

A general observation, Mandriva seems right much more tempermental than either Ubuntu, or Suse, or FC4. I'm not sure what that is all about.

Thanks

Wolferd

Mandriva 2006 came with a pre-release of xorg which gave people a lot of problems. Now, there are updates for this, which tends to make things a lot more stable.

I also have powerpack, and found that my nvidia card wouldn't work correctly with it. I had to remove it, along with dkms as well, and install the drivers manually from the console prompt to get it to work. Chances are, that you will have to do the same with yours if applying updates always causes you problem. Once I had removed dkms and the nvidia driver supplied with powerpack, and installed the ones from nvidia, I had no problems with my machine.

The only time my graphics stop working is if I update my kernel, then I have to reinstall the driver. But this is to be expected anyway.