Nvidia Problems

Guest M4573RMatt

Guest M4573RMatt

Hey I just installed Mandrake friday and was hoping to be able to install opengl by now however I came across a problem :/

I installed Nvidia driver from their site and followed the tutorial step by step and installed the driver however once I tryed to startx the screen would flicker and then turn black. Then power saving mod would kick in and I would not be able to do ctrl alt f1 or ctrl alt backspace or ctrl alt del :/ nadda so ya I just hold down the power button for a couple seconds and turn the pc back on and lilo turns on and it trys to load linux but the screen turns black :/ Liquid Zoo told me to then hit esc and type linux 3 and then it loads straight to the command line and i log in and start x and the monitor goes to sleep mod :/

Finally we gave up and we changed some nvidia file from Drive nvidia to Driver nv and then startx and boom it works (yes boom!) however he told me nvidia isnt on yet :( so he thought it would be best to see if anyone had any problem like this before and/or how to fix it :)

EXTRA info that prolly doesnt apply:

Dual booting

Mandrake Free DVD version

HP PC

This happened in Windows when I would install the driver before installing windows patches

First time using linux

Well thank you for your time ^^ :thanks:

Please describe the steps you actually did, and don't just say you followed a guide.

The screen goig black and cutting off means that x is runnig out of range for your monitor. I would also suggest updating x first and then installing the driver.

Guest M4573RMatt

Ixthusdan: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=4567 (the only thing different was that nvidia asked if it could do the X files itself to make sure they are right and I said yes)

How do I update x?

Polemicz: I use Nvidia Geforce FX 5200, so its not the latest but its definantly not bad; how do I update :/ (I am pretty sure I got the 2006 DVD)

All: I actually want linux as a gaming system and I thought mandrake would be the best, however if there is another that is easier to play games on what would it be?

Sorry if any of my questions insult your intelligence or what not, but I'm just a nooblet with linux atm, hopefully with your help I can appreciate linux more and maybe even use it full time :)

Thanks for your time :)

Some revisions of the FX5200 chip (like for instance my current AGP card...) are tough indeed with TFT screens and DVI connection... here I have no framebuffer, and the xorg "nv" driver simply brings zilch- I have to use either vesa, or the stock nvidia driver. Currently using 8178 (not the nvidia package, and not Mandriva, but this shouldn't affect operation- factly I did more or less the same in the past on mandy and PCLinuxOS) and it's working decently, including OpenGL... although it isn't a secret that this card isn't anywhere close to being a stellar performer. "Gaming System" with FX 5200? Hmmm...

Anyway, back to your problem: Please checkout the file /var/log/xorg.0.log and paste here any serious error messages you see there.

Guest M4573RMatt

Scarecrow: Honestly you lost me somewhere between 'Some revisions' and '8178' :P

It should work fine with any linux games (Wolfenstein is the only fps I know of thats on linux anyways, and I dont want to run high specs :/ it may increase realism but it decreases my aim (I love full gamma and clear heads :P))

I will try to find the log tommorrow (using windows to host some files :P I know I am defeating the real purpose of linux lol)

IxthusDan: Well I originally had a mx440 but I replaced it, I dont remember seeing anything but my friend said he saw a nvidia logo on my mother board in case thats of any use... ah screw it I honestly dont know what a panel or crt is :cheesy: (you into ska?)

Edited by M4573RMatt

Scarecrow: Honestly you lost me somewhere between 'Some revisions' and '8178' :P

It should work fine with any linux games (Wolfenstein is the only fps I know of thats on linux anyways, and I dont want to run high specs :/ it may increase realism but it decreases my aim (I love full gamma and clear heads :P))

Doom3, UT series...

IxthusDan: Well I originally had a mx440 but I replaced it, I dont remember seeing anything but my friend said he saw a nvidia logo on my mother board in case thats of any use... ah screw it I honestly dont know what a panel or crt is 

CRT looks like a TV, panel is just that, a flat panel monitor with an LCD screen.

:cheesy:  (you into ska?)

Yes :P

Here's what I suggest for you. Using the Easy urpmi link at the top of the page, get the code for at least an Updates source. Write it down, as I know you dual boot. Then, boot into linux (Esc then linux 3 at the lilo screen), log in as root, and type in exactly what you got from easy urpmi. After that, type the following command into your command prompt:

urpmi --update --auto-select

That should present you with a large list, press y for yes and wait till all of the updates are installed. After that, go back into your xorg.conf file (vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf) and change the Driver "nv" back to Driver "nvidia", save and exit vim (Esc :wq ), then type

modprobe nvidia

If you get another command prompt, that's good. From there, logout of root and log in to your regular user account and try startx and see if it now works. If there is an update for xorg available, updating to it might fix your issues.

Guest M4573RMatt

Ohh doom3? Wow I never knew, (Do I have to buy an online version for linux or somthing?)

Oh, silly me, I thought he was talking about some kind of software or hardware, I have a LCD.

Thanks again Liquid :) you've done so much, Im gonna be busy and only have time to post today, however on friday night I will have time and can test it out and tell you if it works :)