RPM - perhaps simple? [solved]

neocytrix

Buongiorno tutti!

I am trying to install LimeWire by using the RPM. It says that it can't install.

j2re >= 1.4.1

So I download the Bin File for j2re1.4.2, and I finally get it to install (I think, it did extract everything and now theres a folder that has all the stuff in it.) But the LimeWire install still comes up with the same error, SOMEBODY HELP ME lol

-Neocytrix

Java 1.4.2 would work but is an old version. Go to the Sun website and download and install Java 1.5.0 from there. This page has links for downloading the self-extracting rpm package and instructions on how to install it: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Be sure to uninstall the 1.4.2 package first. If you get stuck again post back here with any error messages.

You can install the latest JRE from here:

http://www.mandrivaclub.nl/sources/official/2006/i586/

This RPM will save you the few seconds you would need for symlinking the browser plugin and setting a global java path when installing the Sun RPM.

But anyway latest is not necessarily greatest, and JRE 1.4.2 may render several java applications much better than the new one!

If LimeWire complains about missing java, simply install it by force:

rpm -i --nodeps Lime*.rpm

And finally, the latest FrostWire is equivalent in options to LimeWire Pro, but opensource/not costing a single penny, and without having "suspect files" filters, like the ones introduced in LimeWire since last October.

Edited by scarecrow

How did you know the command to run it?

-Neocytrix

By dropping an eye at the usual places executables are installed: /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin - or for some Linux distros in the /opt folder. Or you could do ( as root ):

updatedb

locate lime

Now the very first thing that should appear is some /usr/bin/limewire entry.

Guest johnevans
How did you know the command to run it?

-Neocytrix

By dropping an eye at the usual places executables are installed: /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin - or for some Linux distros in the /opt folder. Or you could do ( as root ):

updatedb

locate lime

Now the very first thing that should appear is some /usr/bin/limewire entry.

Another command to remember is

rpm -ql limewire

which will tell you where all the files belonging to this RPM have been installed. As scarecrow mentioned, the executables will usually be in /usr/bin