Java package and URPMI dependencies

Scirious

Hi, people! I'm new to this forum. I've been a SUSE user that is going to migrate to a different distribution. Currently, the one that I'm going to choose is Mandriva or Ubuntu. If I chose Mandriva I may even join the club as soon as I can get a credit card. However, I haven't yet decided because of small details.

In SUSE there is a tool to manage software that is called yast and in Mandriva there is urpmi. Yast has a small feature that helps me a lot which is it's abilaty to install RPMs even if it's dependencies are missing. This way I can install java myself, bypassing RPM databese, and if a package requires java I can just tell yast to ignore the dependencie, since I know it is already installed. Does URPMI (GUI) allow such thing?

My second question is: There is any java 1.5 package build especifically to Mandriva? I mean, so I don't need to install SUN one and deal myself with PATH creations and firefox plugins? And is there any version of Firefox 1.5 build to Mandriva?

Thanks for your support;

Scirious.

Yes, urpmi will install dependencies if they are required.

Currently, there isn't a Firefox 1.5 rpm, but you can install it real easily by downloading direct from Mozilla. Also, I've not found a jre 1.5 as of yet in rpm form, but it's real easy to install using the one available from http://www.java.com/ and they have instructions there too.

If you want to install things without any dependencies (rather risky if you ask me), you can use some urpmi-commands from a terminal (urpmi --allow-nodeps. use urpmi --help or man urpmi for getting to know it) or use a rpm and install it the old-fashioned way (if necessary, use the --force argument).

Btw, there is not "need" to join the Mandriva club for obtaining Mandriva. If you want to join the club and thus support the distro... well it's up to you. :)

Well, I'm impressed with te fast reply!!! My problem is: if I remove the bundled version of Firefox to install the new 1.5 version from Mozilla site and if I install Java followoing the instructions on SUN's page what will happen if I try to update my system with URPMI GUI and it tries to install a software that has any of these as a dependencie? Will it install the older version and break my system?

Thanks for the response,

Scirious.

Edited by Scirious

I agree with ianw1974 that it's best, regardless of your distro, to install the standard Sun Java package. Links for downloading and installation instructions available here: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

I also agree that it's also best to install Firefox from the standard Mozilla.org package. It's very easy to do. You'll avoid any dependency problems by leaving the Mandriva Firefox rpm installed. By using the standard Mozilla Firefox package it's always easy to update to the latest release instead of having to wait for a distro-specific .rpm or .deb package. I just unpack the Firefox tarball into /usr/local, which makes a /usr/local/firefox directory with everything Firefox needs in it, create a symlink in /usr/local/bin to /usr/local/firefox/firefox, and run it from that link (it should be run from a symlink rather than the executable directly). Be sure to run Firefox one time as root (just open it and close) before running it as a normal user.

Thereafter, to update Firefox, I simply rename the /usr/local/firefox folder to /usr/local/firefox.old, unpack the new version as before, copy over stuff in usr/local/firefox.old/plugins to usr/local/firefox/plugins and I'm good to go with the latest version. I just updated to Firefox 1.5.0.1 this way this morning. You can delete /usr/local/firefox.old, but I like to keep it around for a while 'til I'm sure the new version doesn't have issues.

I install Java, Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office and a few other apps from packages downloaded from the websites to make upgrading quick, easy and no waiting for distro packages.

And urpmi will indeed handle dependencies for you. It's just like using apt-get, really. The GUI frontend for urpmi in Mandriva Control Center is nice, but like apt-get it's very easy and more powerful to use urpmi from the command line than from the GUI.

Hmmm...'Check for Updates' is there all right, but in both 1.5 and 1.5.0.1 it's grayed out on mine. Wassup with that? AFAIK I didn't think browser auto-updates had been enabled for Linux versions yet. It will update extensions but not the browser itself. Do you have some cool secret beta version not available to the general public or what?

The auto-update option can only be run as root in a normal Mandriva installation as root is the owner of firefox. I used it once but afterwards, my firefox was quite messed up, so I had to reinstall firefox. :juggle:

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, I'm sorry- if you need the SDK then it's not there.

But JRE is...

Or, still better, since the MCNL repo has several other goodies as well:

- Open a root console, and copypaste in ( by shift+ins ):

urpmi.addmedia MCNL http://www.mandrivaclub.nl/sources/official/2006/i586 with hdlist.cz

- urpmi j2re

Ain't that difficult, is it?

Edited by scarecrow

I got my JDK from blackdown.org, and the install was really easy, hardly anything to it. I did suffer your exact problem though when I tried to install ant from rpm - it refused to install saying that the dependency "java" wasn't satisfied - even though the JDK was there and quite happy.

If there isn't an rpm for the JDK then I think arctic's suggestions about urpmi from the command line are the only way to go. As far as I know there isn't a way to override that kind of thing from the GUI.