Partition troubles and /sys/block/

Distro is Debian Sid.

I just moved around my partitions so I could get rid of Windows. My Linux used to be on /dev/sda5 and Windows on /dev/sda1, but I created a new partition where Windows had been and copied all my files there with Knoppix and cp -rfv --preserve (except /proc because that would never copy since some of the files aren't strictly "real" I guess). Anyway, I then booted into my copy on /dev/sda1 and it worked fine. I then deleted /dev/sda5 to give me more space and when I boot again into /dev/sda1 it gives me an error.

Waiting for /sys/block/sda/sda5/dev No such file or directory

Well, of course it can't find it: sda5 has been deleted and doesn't exist. It seems that whatever reference the old partition had was copied over and thus it's still looking for sda5 even though it doesn't exist. I tried moving /sys/block/sda/sda5 to a temporary directory hoping that would stop it from looking for it, but no luck. O also removed all references to sda5 in /etc/fstab and that didn't help either.

Any ideas on what's keeping it from booting still?

Thanks all :).

dev/sda5 does indeed exist, but I tried moving it to a temporary directory and it didn't fix anything, which makes some sense because:

"ls /dev/sda*" gives sda[1-15] or so, even with just one partition.

Oh, I think I know what you are experiencing right now. It sounds as if the same device gets mounted over and over again. I experienced somtehing similar, as I have a usb-floppy drive and the floppys I inserted got mounted up to 16 or 17 times, although there should be only one partition (sda1) showing. It is a bug with udev and sd devices afaik and I never found a solution, nor did I get an answer on this problem from anyone anytime anywhere. But before we get too pessimistic, check if after a reboot there really ain't anything added to fstab. I guess that you will find multiple sda entries there.... :unsure: If yes, edit fstab again and try to disable the automounter/hardware detection from your startup scripts. Maybe it helps.