Samba configuration wizard won't start [solved]

camorri

I have been having trouble getting samba working on Mandriva 2006. I have tried with Swat and Webmin without success. I have it working with Mdk 9.2; this is a multi boot system.

I read a post suggesting installing Drakwizard, I'm not much of a fan of wizards, but since I was spendig more time than I'd like sorting out my samba configuration on 2006, I though I'd give the wizard a whirle. I used 'urpmi drakwizard' as root to install it.

When I open MCC, I now have a load of icons to configure things with, including samba. If I start MCC form a root konsole, then the samba wizard, it stops loading with the following message. 'This program has exited abnormally.'

On the konsole I see the following message output.

mcc

root /home/cliff 01:47:41 > atom n° 0 is not a section

Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/drakwizard line 82.

GLib-CRITICAL **: g_key_file_add_group: assertion `g_key_file_lookup_group_node (key_file, group_name) == NULL' failed at /usr/lib/libDrakX/ugtk2.pm line 398.

GLib-CRITICAL **: g_key_file_add_group: assertion `g_key_file_lookup_group_node (key_file, group_name) == NULL' failed at /usr/lib/libDrakX/ugtk2.pm line 398.

Any thoughts on how to fix this??? :oops:

Assuming youhave swat set up and set to run on request (MCC -> services) why not run localhost:901 from a browser? Totally unsure why you got what you did when you ran mcc from a root console. mcc on my 2006 system is a perl scrip that runs without a problem as root. Have you installed all your updates?

I have been editing the smb.conf file for some time, and I'm having many problems connecting, from either another linux machine, or widdoze. I though I would try the wizard to see if I could get things working with less time spent. I was surprised the wizard would not start. I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the problem.

I have swat installed, and I have tried using it as well. I'm getting some confusing results through swat. It status shows smbd and nmbd as not running. If I do a ps aux, I can see they are in fact running. Further one of the problems I have is, form a linux machine I can see the shared folders, but can not see the contents. So, my conclusion, right or wrong was the smbd and nmbd must be running.

As for updates, I have a practice of running update once a week. I ran it yesterday. So things should be up to date.

When I installed the package, the widards were described as perl scripts. My guess is I have something wrong in the perl area. BTW, I ran the time server wizard, and it runs just fine.

Thank-you for the replies.

First, for what ever reason I can not explain, the gui wizard is now working. I have no idea why. I used it to create a very simple smb.conf file, and I now have sharing working between linux to linux and linux to windoze, yes even windoze to windoze.

I have some more to do, shares to add, and testing windoze to linux printing. I have that all working on MDK 9.2, so I think I should be O.K now on 2006.

Once again, thank-you for yoru interest and suggestions.