Checking which version... [solved]

Open the MCC (Mandriva Control Centre). Click on HELP and then click on ABOUT.

It will give you all the information you need. Why do you need a command line command to do it instead of the MCC way ???.

Seems you may want to make it harder than it needs to be.

When you open KDE Control Centre, the front window tells you what kernel version you are using as well what KDE version as well.

Cheers. John.

JBOY you beat me that time. :lol2:

Edited by AussieJohn

Thanks guys, AussieJohn, I did try your method before posting but for some reason it does not give me the info I was looking for (Do you know why??). Why do I make my life harder? Well I love to learn, this is why I took the transition from Windows to Linux, and I think it is good to know different ways to do things.

jboy your method is spot on, it comes back with the following:

"10.1.0 1.0 Color Blue"

All I wanted to know. Thanks guys

TheNovice

Edited by TheNovice

Also, to find out which kernel you are running (I just needed to do this), use:

uname -a

I get the following:

Linux [hostname] 2.6.11-6mdk #1 Tue Mar 22 16:04:32 CET 2005 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ unknown GNU/Linux

This leads me to a question of my own. If I list what RPMs I have installed using

rpm -qa | grep kernel

I see that I have 3 things:

kernel-2.6.11.6mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-2.6.3.7mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-source-2.6-2.6.11-13mdk

Can I safely remove the 2.6.3.7 kernel, as it seems to be unused?

(Background: I'm trying to get my NVidia drivers working, and it's complaining that my kernel source doesn't match my kernel version (quite reasonably, IMO). I'm hoping that I should be able to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.11.13 pretty easily so that everything matches.)

I've removed old kernels before with no problems, after verifying that the newer kernel was working fine with no problems.

I removed them using the command: urpme <old kernel package>

Rpmdrake could be used as well.

You may need to update lilo (or grub) as well, if the old kernel version was showing on the boot loader menu. I don't recall if that was done as part of the removal or if I had to explicitly update, using (for example): lilo -v

Thanks for the confidence-boost. Kernel upgrade to 2.6.11-13 went nice and easy (once I read the additional steps required to update LILO boot sector). As it turns out, though, that wasn't the problem - NVidia's error message was very misleading. Instead, I needed to alter a couple of BIOS settings so that the IRQ on the card was recognised. After that, it worked very nicely.