please help with folder permission

Guest mrs4m

hi guys..pls help to solve this problem

i created a folder and give a group a permission to read and list folders and files inside it. but every few minutes the "read" permission of the group keep on missing (by itself) so the group couldn't access to it.

fyi, the folders and files inside it has no problem with the permission.

pls help....thx

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Guest Hobbletoe

I ran across something like this a while ago under 10.0, and found that the msec process (Mandriva Linux Security Tools). In 10.0, there was a GUI for it under MCC, but I haven't seen it in 2005LE or 2006. But, it has a list of a myrid of different directories and files, as well as the permissions for those files under the different run levels.

If you check your /etc/cron.hourly, I bet you see it in there. Now, you can get rid of it (check cron.daily as well), or you can change its behavior. To do so, you'll need to know the msec level that you are running under (check /etc/sysconfig/msec under the SECURE_LEVEL variable). Once you know that, pop over to /usr/share/msec. In this directory are your configuration files. If you look in the perm file for your security level (mine is set to 3, so perm.3 for me), you'll see a listing of directories, owners, and permissions. When that cron job kicks off every hour, it sets the owner and permissions for those directories and files. Check and see if your directory, or perhaps a parent directory, is there and has permissions other than what you want. Just correct them there.

The problem may be something else, but that would be the only thing that I've seen that changes permissions.