Install belkin F5D7010 820.11G wireless pcmcia

Arne

So my advice to Mandriva is "get your act together and put down more resources and solve this main problem".

The problem is that there's little Mandriva can do about it! Most hardware manufacturers are not willing to provide linux drivers or even help open-source developers to produce a driver by providing documentation etc. At the moment most Linux users have to rely on the loading of windows drivers to get anywhere - which is obviously going to be a little hit and miss at times.

One last suggestion would be to take a look at linuxant driverloader, whilst you have to pay for the software there is a free demo available.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Qchem,

In general I agree with you but not totally. I give one example.

Belkin made installer for Linux for the Rt2500 chip set long time ago.

Why didn't Mandriva customize this for 2006????????

I tried this but it didn't work because Mandriva have not done their part.

Secondly

Sourceforge have a project to make a general Belkin 7010 driver for rt2500 chip. In their wisdom they presented a beta 2 release in late December 2005 made for a kernel no less than 2.6.14. Why??? because at the moment 2006 latest kernel is 2.6.12-15. Is Mandriva to late on new kernels?????

By the way when installing Belkin card in win98SE I learn that the chip is not rt2500 but rt2560. I don't think that would have made much difference but we don't know, right???????

I am sure mdv could and should have done more.

Anyway thank's for your reply and the tip on linuxiant. :wall:

I think thats a bit unfair on Mandriva, they support what they can but think about the number of cards and versions out there, they are only one bit of the opensource community..

They place resources where they think it is best for the majority, right or wrong that is what they try.

I have a set of network cards here which if you use the driver that the company says to use it fails but if you look on the web you find that there are actually two versions displaying the same information... And Yes the driver was available after a good search and a compile..

michaelcole

It is not often that a chip manufacturer actually produce a Linux driver for their products. This i very positive. So positive that Sourceforge established a project to develop a general driver. Mdv did not even try a customation.

This chip is expected to be produced in 14 millions this year so it's one of the major wireless chip in the world. I know that for any company there is a absolute need for priority. This time they did it wrong. I am only saying they have to put more effort, read resources or make another priority because wireless technology is Linux week point.