network manual start required

jkpalmer

Hi, check your ifcfg-eth0 (or whatever you use ie: eth1, eth2 etc..) & make sure it states

ONBOOT=yes

within the file. It can be located at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ You can issue the following command in a terminal session as root

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

& view the file. If you need to change it as a newbie I would suggest entering the following command in the terminal

kdesu konqueror

then the password for root. This will open konqueror as root. Then make your way to the eth0 file & open it with your editor (I use kwrite) change & save the file. Next time you boot it should then start your network connection.

HTH & sorry if I sound condescending in any way..

Network connection not starting at boot up. Still have to manually connect each time I start Linux.

Here is the contents of my ifcfg-eth0 file:

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

ONBOOT=yes

METRIC=10

Any suggestions?

TIA

-jP

Edited by jkpalmer

my icfg-eth0 looks like this:

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

ONBOOT=yes

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=""

DHCP_HOSTNAME=192.168.1.254

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

my resolv.conf looks like this:

search launchmodem.com

nameserver 192.168.1.254

nameserver 192.168.1.254

It looks like you need to specify your DHCP hostname in icfg-eth0

resolv.conf exists in your /etc directory. This is where your DNS entries will go. Is your ethernet card connected to a router?!? Is DHCP enabled, or are you wanting to use static ip?

How did you configure the connection? Did you configure it as a LAN interface? If not, and it was configured as ADSL or something else, then reconfigure using the option LAN, and go from there.

That might help, have seen similar problems before when the wrong option was chosen.

So, into Configure Your Computer/MCC whichever you prefer to call it, then network, and then select the option to create a new connection, and then select LAN, select your network card, and configure the details where you choose either DHCP or Static IP, enter a hostname, you don't need to worry about search domain so leave this blank, and also leave zeroconf blank as well.

I configured my connection as a LAN interface.

My question about what I place in my host name -

If I view the configuration for my router (192.168.1.1) I can see an entry for the hostname with a value of - newpc.

Is this what I put in the hostname (newpc) when configuring my connection or is it the domain name of my isp - xyz.com?

Thanks for you help and patience!!!

Regards,

-jP

Edited by jkpalmer

Your linux machine can be named anything you like. The name of the router can be anything you like, so I'm assuming your router has a name of newpc?!?

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean. Can you post a screen shot of the router screen you have in question with this hostname thing?

Connection is configured as LAN.

I accessed my router (192.168.1.1) and saw that the host name is - 'newpc' (w/out quotes) and the domain is xyz.com.

I assume that I should use the newpc value in the reference to hostname. It is not qualified..

Don't have any trouble connecting, execpt that I would like to have the connection startup at boot time. Doesn't matter if I have that option turned on or off, still won't be active when I see my desktop.

When you configure the LAN connection (or Cable, which I always use, even though I'm on a LAN), there will be a place to enter your default gateway, or something like that. Enter your routers ip there (192.168.1.1)

I have also solved similar issues by assigning a static IP from the router to my PC (ex. 192.168.1.101)