Setting a different language [solved]

ramonflores

Some times it is suitable that a program use a language different from the system default. For example to run lyx without problems. The classic way to do it in linux is setting the LANG environment variable before starting the program, ex:

LANG=fr_FR lyx

But in Mandriva 2006 this do not work.

Do anybody know how to achieve this in Mandriva?

:thanks:

Ramom

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

I had installed locales-fr, but exporting LANG do not work in my computer. Even arfter runing:

export LC_ALL=fr

export LC_LANG=fr

One question please. Is me the only one that have this problem?

I would thank that somebody using Mandriva2006 make a test, and confirm if this is a bug or just my problem.

Ramom

Ah, so you just want the KDE menus in French, and not in Portuguese/Brazilian...

urpmi kde-i18n-fr

(I think this is the correct name of the RPM).

Then you can switch via kcontrol/regional&accessibilty/Country/Region & Language.

This will affect only the KDE applications- for Openoffice you must install the french RPM's, while for Firefox/Thunderbird you can just install the "fr.xpi" extension ( it's easy to find the one matching the version you're running- from ftp.mozilla.org ), and then start the application like

firefox -UILOcale fr%u

and

thunderbird -UILOcale fr%u

Edited by scarecrow

Ah, so you just want the KDE menus in French, and not in Portuguese/Brazilian...

urpmi kde-i18n-fr

(I think this is the correct name of the RPM).

Then you can switch via kcontrol/regional&accessibilty/Country/Region & Language.

This will affect only the KDE applications- for Openoffice you must install the french RPM's, while for Firefox/Thunderbird you can just install the "fr.xpi" extension ( it's easy to find the one matching the version you're running- from ftp.mozilla.org ), and then start the application like

firefox -UILOcale fr%u

and

thunderbird -UILOcale fr%u

No, I don't want all KDE menus in French. I just want one program in French, and the others programs in Portuguese.

The only way to have just ONE KDE app in language A, and all others in language B, is recompiling it yourself- unless its developer has application-specific i18n packages (e.g. K3B is such an app, but it's not a core KDE application).

Is this a feature of Mandriva or of the new versions of KDE?

In my computer I have installed two distributions, RedHat 8.0 and Mandriva2006. In RedHat8.0 there are no problems to have one KDE app in language A, other in language B, and the remaining in language C. As can be seen in the attachment. In the screenshot you can see that the general locale is pt_PT.iso88591, and two different konquerors, one in en_GB and the other in pt_BR.

The pt_BR version is similar to the pt_PT version (that is not shown), but slightly different.

post-13426-1139595610_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I got the solution :thumbs: . Reading the manuals is a good thing, but sometimes there are too many manuals.

In the site KDE for System Administrators, there is

the page Environment Variables that says:

KDE_LANG

To Overrides the KDE language configuration, e.g. "KDE_LANG=fr kprogram &" starts a program with french translation if the necessary files are installed.