Can't boot to Ubuntu on other partion [solved]

Red Knuckles

Red Knuckles,

if its' not that you installed Mandriva over ubuntu, it looks like you have the problem that Mandriva includes only itself in the bootloader menu, plus any windows partitions.

If you use GRUB loader for both mandriva and ubuntu, to get acess to Ubuntu OS you need to edit your Mandriva bootloader settings in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

title linux
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 splash=verbose resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

That's a typical entry for an OS in the grub loader, you need to make a copy of such an entry in your menu.lst and modify it.

For ubuntu you have to change (0,4) to (0,x), where x is the sequential number of your ubuntu partition on the disk. Looks like you have to use (0,0). The other change is the root destination. Obviously, it should be root=/dev/hda1 in your case.

I find it helpful to (a) mount ubuntu partition to, say, /ubuntu (b) open /ubuntu/boot/grub/menu.lst and copy the appropriate lines from there.

hope this helps.

If you chose all the defaults when installing mandriva, then lilo, not grub, was installed as the bootloader. If you have ubuntu on another partition and want ot have the option to boot either mandriva or ubuntu, you need to manually make a boot entry for it. To help you do that, post the following:

The location of your ubuntu root partition. Your post indicates this is /dev/hda1, but it's not clear. Alos, state what linux filesystem you used on ubuntu, eg. ext3, reiserfs, xfs, ect.

Your /ect/fstab file and your /ect/lilo.conf file.

Edited by pmpatrick

I managed to screw things up worse and had to wipe my HD and start over. I'm working on a Mandriva install right now but would like to install other distros on my HD [300GB]. What is best way to do that???

Also during install I selected Icemv Desktop [not sure I spelled that right] rather than KDE. Can I switch it back to KDE??? If so How??? :thanks:

You can have many different distros installed, and play around. In that case it's advised to use the same loader in all (either LILO or Grub, the general consensus is that grub is more flexible), one common /boot partition (which should be small, no more than 40 MB) where you should put all the kernel images you like to boot) and separate root partitions for every distro. My advice is messing for starters with just ONE distro...

The other stuff you had loaded is IceWM, which is not a desktop, but rather a window manager. You can switch easily to KDE by opening as root "mcc" and going to the boot and logon options.

If you're going to add distros it makes sense to plan out how you partition your hard drive in advance. Generally folks have a separate /home partition. Note also that Mandriva defaults the first user to a uid of 501, while Ubuntu defaults to 1000. You can deal with that, but you need to be aware of it. Enjoy and good luck.

The Mandriva partitioner is quite nice (MCC -> Mount Points) and easy to use and as you have Mandriva installed might as well use it. There are lots of threads on partition schemes and file systems on the board. Some of the choices are idiosyncratic and some are based on specific needs.