Mandriva 2006 - KDE Freezes

sub-zero

The other day I was trying to install Thunderbird, and the download froze, between the install initiation and the end of the download. The whole system crashed (I should stop running applications when I instal stuff). When I booted up again, I didn't do a disk check (because it freezes at 32.8%). Everything's fine, except the KDE dock bar and the K menu (and the fact that the disk checks take too long for my liking) (Is it supposed to freeze like that, or does that mean it's finding something wrong in the system?).

Anything I can do to reinstall and/or upgrade KDE?

What file system are you using?

What specifically is wrong with the dock bar and the menu?

Yes, it sounds like it is finding something to correct. Using a journalised file system, like ext3 or reiser, is prefered because replaying the journal is a quicker fix/recovery. Thunderbird and kde are really unrelated. The incomplete Thunderbird should not affect kde. It sounds like 3 different issues: file system recovery, Thunderbird botched install, and kde problem. More details, please. :lol:

Incidently, running programs while installing is not an issue. In fact, I have compiled and installed a whole different distro (gentoo) in a shell while using my machine for other purposes.

I'm using ext3. And I finished installing Thunderbird already, before it messed up.

I guess what I'm asking is: My KDE is corrupted, and it needs to be restored, but the disk checker lags at 32.8% should it do that?

I noticed the hard drive light stops flashing when it gets to that point, so I thought it froze.

[EDIT: My KDe desktop works, but the dock bar and the K menu don't, though this may be irrelevant.]

Edited by sub-zero

When correcting as journaised file system, the choice is to replay the journal, and not check the drive.

I would be tempted to put in the first cd and perform an upgrade install. That won't change anything and it will fix the problem.

I tried that, but it didn't do anything. How would I go about replaying the journal?

Edited by sub-zero

It will do this automatically. Do not tell it to check the drive. In the upgrade, check to install kde, nothing else, and see if it will correct the problem.

Did you try the obvious: Logging out of kde, going with another WM (or console), and deleting /home/sub-zero/.kde hidden directory?

(you can also rename instead of deleting, if you have data in there).

If not then do that, log back to KDE and see what happens.

Edited by scarecrow

What scarecrow suggest is a good fix. Most of the time, a mess is in the user settings rather than in kde as a whole. The .kde file in the user directory contains all the user settings. Without it, kde simply generates a new set.

Oh great. I read this too late. x_x

My linux partition went under again. And the CD isnt installing. I'll try again and post if it happens again and I manage to fix it using scarecrow's method. I saw that file in Knoppix and wondered what it was for, but my internet was down for a bit today, and I didn't even know that was the problem.

I even had ICEWM installed in case that would happen, but I forgot. :wall:

Thanks for the help

[EDIT: I got it re-installed, and it works fine now. I'll keep your tip in mind if it ever breaks again]

Edited by sub-zero