New Stuff

clevedonal

How do i go about 'enabling hi-mem support' ? should i enable it before or after adding the the new chip?

By running "make xconfig" and then rebuilding your kernel- however you don't have to do so explicitly.

You can use kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1 from main, which has himem enabled, or alternatively Svetljo's kernel-multimedia-2.6.12-12.mm.1mdk-1-1 from contib, which is lowmem, but has the 1GB ck patch included.

Prior to replacing the graphics card - I changed driver to 'nv' - tried 'vesa' first off, but upon logging back in to check all was legible i ended up with multiple images on the desktop.

however the 'nv' driver worked ok.

(I'd already dowloaded latest 8178 nvidia pkg & saved for laters)

I added the new graphics card (XFX GeForce 6200 256mb) and rebooted. installed nvdia driver and it seemed ok. played around on it for a couple of days to check there were no major issues

then i installed the 'up to 4gb kernel' prior to sticking in my 1gb memory module.

new mem module in, booted into win2000 ok, noticeably quicker...

then into Mandy

two main versions in lilo, with nvidia driver installed on both...

KDE is showing KDE Daemon (kded)'crash messages' SIGFPE- signal 8 with an endlessly popping-up box... :o not really allowing me to do anything useful...

looked at 'bugs.kde.org' as suggested by the crash message, and this is a reported issue but i cannot seem to find the 'fix' - i am contemplating a re-install over the weekend... got :beer: in my fridge, wife away kids occupying themselves.

will a format/re-install sort out KDE probs? - i am thinking that the crash only occurred after i had installed the second kernel...

i should have tried bigger memory before installing the kernel upgrade??

i am using this as part of my linux learning experience. every day is an education.

and of course -

:thanks: