ati 9600 newbie help to install drivers

rbk25

i have ran glxinfo and glxgears and i am stiil getting a low fps and no direct rendering. I will next try manually type in the dri section and the configuration from your previous post, in there as well. then i will urpmi mesa, if you think that will work

Edited by rbk25

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He couldn't, was getting nothing but problems, this is why going this way around to take things slowly step-by-step ;)

Oke. Was just being curious. I know the ATisite isn't much help, but I managed to install both the i586 and the x86_64 version. It took me a while, but in the end it was worth my while.

:D

Edited by Gul Dukat

I tried both rpm and ati-installer versions with my Radeon 9250 and both were pants. Never worked. Get decent FPS of around 1200 with the open source ones, I suppose could be better with the ATI ones if their installer and/or rpm actually worked!

I as it happens, got the same error trying the rpm install as this post. A shame really. Had to rebuild one of my systems, before I could try 2006 on the affected ATI box, but should have an update soon.

I've only tried the drivers from the ATi-site. And they worked for me from day one. The problem with the drivers from the ATi-site is, is that it doesn't support all their video-cards. Only more recent ones. I have found that is one biggest disadvantages of their drivers. But the topic-starter has a 9600XT and that shouldn't have been a problem, normally. That's what I find peculiar.

I've only tried the drivers from the ATi-site. And they worked for me from day one. The problem with the drivers from the ATi-site is, is that it doesn't support all their video-cards. Only more recent ones. I have found that is one biggest disadvantages of their drivers. But the  topic-starter has a 9600XT and that shouldn't have been a problem, normally. That's what I find peculiar.

I agree, according to ati the current driver supports Radeon 8500 and higher.

just an update. I had read somewhere that my 9600 would work out of the box using SimplyMepis. After all i have been through, i thought that i would put my card and mepis on another machine, and give it a shot. i first booted up and tested the fps and it was like 200 and direct rendering was a no. then i looked in the display options in the os center and selected the ati tab and check to use their driver. i rebooted and now i am running glxgears at 2000. could my xorg.conf be helpful in configuring my ati card in mandriva?? just thought,