Help Wireless Networking

Guest Jesus

I got an old dell celeron computer that windows had crashed on, go figure, and reformatted the hard drive. I put mandrake linux 10.1 on it and tried to setup a wireles network. I went through countless wikkis and what not until I gave up and installed windows XP. Yes, that does feel dirty. I hated windows so much all over again that I decided to take another crack at it, more instructions, more attempts, less results.

I installed ndiswrapper with an RPM and tried to install the rt2500.inf driver for my WUSB54G linksys adapter. When I did

# ndiswrapper -l

it said hardware NOT found

Same as last time, I was pissed. So I re-installed Mandrake 10.1 and started this thread.

Can someone please give me instructions, like exactly what I have to type in Konsole to get my WUSB54G working. I have the drivers from my cd (.inf along with the .cat and .sys) I think the problem was with the link to the the kernel headers or something.

I am very new to linux.

:help::help::help::help: Thanks

EDIT~

I have all the network WEP information and what not and...

I decided that I'd gladly give 5 dollars, via paypal or money order, to whoever gives me instructions that will make it work.

Edited by Jesus

i need rt2500usb, otherwise i would use the native drivers, sorry if i forgot to mention to that. I have checked the ndiswrapper threads, i basically need to know about the link to the kernel headers, or more generally speaking, how to install ndiswrapper. i can handle everything from there on. i'll search some more but i doubt i'll find something

Ouch, a USB wireless LAN! I think you'll have a lot of problems trying to get that to work. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not far off. Many people tend to stay clear of these and buy a proper card that's installed within the PC instead.

Before moving everything around, my little media center machine was attached via a USB wireless lan, and that was running under Mandriva 2005LE.

The secret is to find a dongle with the one well-supported chipset, which is the rt2500.

Here's my previous post: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=28779 which includes a link to the how-to document.

so i got a PCI card with the rt2500 chipset (WMP54G).

i tried to configure network and use the provided rt2500 driver, nothing happened (brought back to manually select a driver)

i tried ndiswrapper and the driver from the cd

it says that it cannot copy rt2500 (line 135)

then when i ndiswrapper -l it says that it is an invalid driver

i -e to uninstall it and then i re-do it and the same thing happens

should i try a different version of rt2500 or something?