Gnome splash screen background colors won't change

Guest Dreadknott

Guest Dreadknott

Mandriva 2K6

Hi all, and thanks for having this forum.

I just got my M- 2K6 all customized and looking good. I replaced all the ugly icons and the psycho blue penguins with my own custom png. You would think that the French would have a more artsy looking desktop.

The only problem left is the blue background while Gnome is loading. I changed the background color in Applications>system>configuration>boot_and_init>GDM_configurator under the GTK+ Greeter tab, but I only see the color I selected if I log out and back in. When Gnome loads at bootup I always get Mandriva blue. I am thinking the default back ground color is specified in a statup script somewhere. Can anyone tell me where I might look so I can change that? The pale blue really clashes... thanks.

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Welcome aboard. :)

Open theGDM configurator. There are several sections, one being GTK-greeter. Go to that tab and change the color which is shown at the bottom of the tab to the color you want to use.

For hacking files, edit the /etc/X11/Xsession file. There is a section where you define the color (xsetroot -solid"#21449C"). Add the value you want and save.

PS: The tips and Tricks section if for posting tips&tricks, not for asking them. ;)

Guest Dreadknott

Ok, thanks. Sorry about the misspost in the wrong section.

Anyhow, thats not it. This is a blue screen that fills up everything only on initial bootup, while the display manager is loading. If you log out and then back in as a new user you get my custom color, but at boot up I still get blue. The same thing happens in other distros, but they have the decency to use black instead of blue, so all you see is a mouse cursor on a black background on initial startup.

Edited by Dreadknott

Guest Dreadknott

Yes, I did that as soon as you posted, but it did'nt work. Its not a big deal, most people have other complaints that are'nt so trivial. I just like to tinker and it bugs me that i cant find where to change this.