why does the world (linux) have to be so cruel...?

well guys, i must admit im at a blockade...a big one...very big one

as mentioned early i have a new benq laptop s53w;

chipset: 915gm

sound: ich6 ac97

wlan: intel pro 2200bg

this hardware is the core of my work, and there is poor, if any proper support.

I guess we should start a thread dealing with these specific hardware as most laptops use the sonoma chipset.

Also, id like to point out; some laptops with centrino (wireless lan) should note that intel 2200 pro bg is only a chip some vendors, i.e. benq use inprocomm as their carrier card.

well thats from my analysis.

Well, if the moderators will develop threads which target specific laptops hardware.

makes it easier to deal with issues; people should provide laptop vendor and solutions.

cause not everything goes to plan. im a chemist and reactions dont follow journals

Edited by twn_onizuka

Well, if the moderators will develop threads which target specific laptops hardware.

makes it easier to deal with issues; people should provide laptop vendor and solutions.

cause not everything goes to plan. im a chemist and reactions dont follow journals

We will discuss this. I am not 100% sure however, how we could restructure laptop issues adequately in the forum... We'll see if our brains "offer" us a solution.

arctic .... i would like to contribute

because surfing the interent for methods of setting up laptop hardware is like looking for a needle in a haystack...many methods are listed

im new to mandriva i choose it due to the immense flexibility;

we could just establish a section dedicated to one hardware, i.e chipset and users can just search for their own; i think this would be the best method.

Anyway have to install mandriva 2006 again (3 times) in one day...

how do i know what type of mandirva i have (i.e. powerpacks,etc, etc) ??

Have you bought your distro from Mandriva directly? Then you should know what you got. If you downloaded it for free, then you have the "free" version of Mandriva. It is that simple. :)

I think that we can solve the hardware thing for lappies perhaps by creating sticky posts in the forum, dedicated e.g to certain processors, harddisk manufactureres, ... As I said, we will discuss this now among the board for technically sound solutions and then, I think, we will discuss the matter with all of you once we roughly know what can be done and can offer you some proposals/solutions.

Thanks for your input. B)

When we set up the forums, one of the concerns is allowing folks new to both linux and computers an equitable chance at asking questions. Forums that have amazingly large sections broken down into multiple areas are overwhelming to users. If our appeal was only for advanced geeks, so to speak, then we could have an amazingly rich plethora of subdivided topics that no one but ourselves would be able to grasp. Simple has its drawbacks, but more people are encouraged to ask questions. Most of the forums that have lots of subcatagories also chastise people for "posting in the wrong area." This is because users do not know what they do not know. In a forum like this, simple is better.

Intel products are generally used in the design scheme of linux, a standard, in other words. I am a bit surprised at the problem, but then this is computing.

ahh i see...

@ arctic, the reason i asked about the linux version question is because i borrowed a copy off a friend hoping it was the free version (i support software developers that dont mark up disgustingly); because i have a copy of 2005 le and it gave me hell...anyway

@admin (shorthand..sorry!) i understand what you mean, because when you search google and the fourm for particular hardware it becomes confusing, as you get many hits with other hardware involved. For example after spending 2-3 hours of reinstalling mandriva over and over again i have managed to get my wlan working however it was done quite messily. i going over my procedures before i post them up.

- by setting up a FAQ or a particular subgroup for a particular hardware it becomes the first link of call before you search.

Yes, and the FAQ's actually came about in this line of thinking: details which we all could point people to. Please feel free to submit an faq on your particular problem which is really the best way to give back to the community.

Adding such specialized information to devries Wiki would indeed be a good idea. But then we should make a sticky pointer to devries Mandriva-Wiki somewhere on the forum, right?