Free Vs powerpack

buccaneer

Currently, purchasing software from Mandriva serves 2 functions. First, you are financially supporting the distro, the obvious reason to buy. Everyone has an opinion on their ability to market, distribute, offer services, etc., but every company needs money to pay people and develop product on a large scale. Mandriva is no exception. Second, there are indeed software programs included with the power pack that one would have to hunt and search to aquire later. These programs are available on the net. Most of them are free of charge. But, it is nice to slap in the disk and load!

All the other "advantages" that is gained by buying a set are really pointless. The Club, the service, the papaers in the box, the box itself, are all rather meaningless, in my opinion. And yes, I purchased a boxed set, Mandrake 7, from a retailer. It was my first linux. I am still waiting for the return email or call from the customer support department. It has been 5 or 6 years. B) The former former version of this board is the only reason I still use linux ans Mandriva.

Unfortunately I live "out in the boondocks" ie a long way from anything.

My villiage has a populatoin of 3000 and it is a three hour drive to the nearest city with any significant population to get a "box off the shelf". It is only in the last six months we have been able to connect to ADSL.

Rest asssured next time I go to "The Big Smoke" I will get myself a copy of Mandriva out of the box in the meantime i will continue to use my 2005 LE and search around for a ozzie mail order company that handles mandriva.

IMHO the most interesting part is getting the drivers they withold from the free version.

It not that you can't install them yourself, its the fact when you change other things you end up eventually changing a kernel and then in a endless loop with other things you have modded and its better IMHO to stick with urpmi installable SW unless you have a lot of spare time. Again not one-offs its when they build up over a few devices etc. and then this effects other software (say vmware) or you need that new kernel for a feature but then you know it will break nvidia + about 10 other things...

Gowator, thst id s good point. I have also experienced the install reinstall cycle with software and kernels. rpm for an rpm distro is the best route.

buccaneer, try on-line-- Cheap Bytes