how up-to-date are the drivers for mandrake move?

hi guys, i was wondering how updated are the mandrake move drivers?

I have downloaded the dvd iso of knoppix and it doesnt boot into the GUI, because it doesnt recognise intel 915gm chipset and inbuilt drivers

this is frustrating because windows is heavy on reseources and it annoys me, expecillay on my laptop when i have EIST working overtime to extend the battery life

How old is your hardware? A lot of it is based on kernels that lack the support if your video card is new.

I'm not sure what version Mandrake Move is based on, would presume it is 10.1 or earlier since it's "Mandrake" and not Mandriva. You might be better with Mandriva LE2005 or higher to check/test with.

Any particular reason for Mandrake Move, rather than Mandriva or higher to be installed?

thanks for your reply,

i just wannt to try mandrake move, because my laptop being new (benq sw53-t01...for specs) it would not be supported well.

i have borrowed my friends mandriva 2006 powerpack to try...because i would like to become a fulltime member, however if you read the emulation fourm i have been having great difficulty with running xover office...especially installing chemoffice...cause im a chemist.

i would like ffedback, because i will spread the word and help out others

-ive read about the setting up of intel's 2200bg pro drivers looks complicated...is there an easier way?

thanks

ndiswrapper is real easy, I have to use this with my card, because there is no other way. Well, there is madwifi but that doesn't work very well for my card. Madwifi is for Atheros based chipsets.

Ndiswrapper uses the Windows .inf file to install and use the windows driver, but within Linux. Real cool, google for ndiswrapper and view the installation wiki on it.

I too have had problems with some apps, I use wine, rather than paying for Crossover Office. Some apps, I've had to install under Windows, and then copy the directories across into the wine directory, plus associated dlls from \windows\system or \windows\system32 to get it working. But it doesn't always work that simple. Sometimes you may even have to export registry entries in Windows, and then import them into wine to get it working further.

There are live CD's which might be better for what you're trying to achieve. You can run Mandriva from CD then without having to install it! It exists for 2006 as well. And downloadable from various mirrors.

just brought a new

laptop and decided to use it because some programs in window places burden on my cpu and battery.

Linux is unlikely to give you better power mangement/battery life than windows, if that's what you're looking for. Windows has always outperformed linux when it comes to battery life on my laptops. The power management interface in the bios called acpi is geared toward windows and a perennial problem for linux.

I have a new laptop with the 915GM chipset and the Wireless Pro 2200. With Mandriva 2006, the wireless card works without ndiswrapper and set up quite easily using 64 bit WEP encryption. The onboard intel graphics works with 3d acceleration out of the box as well but I had trouble getting 1200x800 resolution; ultimately managed to do that with some trouble. Sound worked out of the box. I did have some trouble booting after installation. I had to pass some boot parameters to get it to boot, namely:

linux noapic acpi=force

That solved my booting problem and left some basic power mangement in tact. For the most part, I'd recommend mdv2006 to anyone with a centrino laptop since mandriva has marketed that distro as centrino compatible which seems to be pretty much borne out by my experience.