Shutdown problem

Hi!

My soundcard is ati IXP400. I have disabled alsa daemon, but it keeps getting on again by itself everytime I do something that makes sound. Have to try what happens if I get myself out of audiogroup. What I know is that when shutting down, it stops when trying to shutdown alsaconf and that's why I think alsa is the problem. Maybe it's my soundcard or maybe it's just me, but I know that it's fu***ng annoying. :wall:

-jd

IXP400 is actually the Southbridge of the ATI Xpress 200 chipset... there was another guy who had some trouble with that chipset in the forum (albeit with the SATA controller, not the soundcard).

I have looked at it and it's rather complicated- ATI initially issued Xpress 200 for Intel platforms, where it's supported rather well, but later expanded it for AMD(64) ones, where things aren't that rosy.

To be short, you may have to either wait for a newer 64-bit kernel, or build one yourself to get it running without trouble.

Getting out of the audio group (logout/relogin required) should stop most, if not all trouble, but Linux without sound is dull, isn't it?