Shutdown problem

:help:

I have a tiny(?) problem with my new laptop. When shutting down mandriva 2006.0 (64bit) everything goes just fine until the machine freezes after the line "shutting down system messagebus [ok]" (freely translated from finnish - hopely right...). Where should I look to find out what's causing this?

-j.d.

Edited by janet.doe

hi!

Don't know what made the trick - maybe nolapic or that I enabled couple of things in bios. My machine shuts down now but then there is this:

Jan 19 23:59:57 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting floppy (/lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko.gz): No such device

Jan 20 00:00:00 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting floppy (/lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko.gz): No such device

What do I have to do to stop the system to search a floppydrive that does not exist?

-j.d.

Hi again.

As it often happens: I was too happy too soon. Shutdown worked as it is supposed to work about 10 times and then something happened and now it stops after that messagebus thing again. I did a reinstall to see if that helps but no, the problem is and seems to stay there. Any ideas? One thing I forgot to mention in my first post is that sometimes when I logout the screen goes black with white stripes and everything just hangs there. I don't know if that has anything to do with that shutdown thing but if it does now you all know about that too.

Sorry if my english is horrible but I'm just very tired and can't concentrate anymore.

-j.d.

If using KDE as desktop:

su -c "urpme kat"

It might help for the logout problem.

As for the other one: any mean error messages to be found in /var/log directory?

Can you find out which message bus ( dbus ) version you have installed, and if the harddrake daemon is running? ( mcc / services ).

First thing after installation I did was removing KAT.

Dbus version is 0.23.4-5 and harddrake daemon is running.

I've copied here some errors that I found from /var/log/messages

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: CPU: AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML-28 stepping 02

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: ACPI: Looking for DSDT in initrd... not found.

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: failed.

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: timer doesn't work through the IO-APIC - disabling NMI Watchdog!

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 39.

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: works.

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: Using local APIC timer interrupts.

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: Detected 12.469 MHz APIC timer.

Jan 20 19:27:45 localhost kernel: testing NMI watchdog ... CPU#0: NMI appears to be stuck (1->1)!

This is one that appears often:

Jan 20 19:27:28 localhost udev[1568]: run_program: exec of program failed

This seems to be the state where shutdown stops, this just repeats itself as long as I let the machine to be before I'll push the button to shut the machine off:

Jan 20 20:38:31 localhost dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.10.1 port 67

Jan 20 20:38:32 localhost dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.168.10.1

Jan 20 20:38:32 localhost dhclient: bound to 192.168.10.64 -- renewal in 32 seconds

-j.d.

Hmmm... it seems your current kernel and your ACPI BIOS don't like very much each other.

Please try booting with "linux noapic nolapic".

See also if you can upgrade your message bus version- the one you have is a very old one ( mine is 0.50-8 ). Also if available via updates, a newer HAL version should help.

Disable harddrake completely, its definitely not needed (on a laptop, anyway) when hotplug or a very recent udev version are running.

I see nothing wrong with the (repetitive) dhcpclient requests to the gateway/router/whatever it is. Anyway, you can try to switch to static LAN addresses and see what happens, although I doubt if that will improve matters.

Hi again!

Now I can shutdown my machine, but not the way that I'm used to... If I open a console for root and then give it 'init 0' the shutdown happens so that it's supposed to happen. This brings a question to my mind - is it possible that somehow the 'halt'-command thats installed in my system is somehow corrupted? Just wondering...

-j.d.

Hi again.

This is little summary of what I have done with this shutdown problem.

First, booted with nolapic - shutdown worked fine for about ten times

second, booted with noapic nolapic - shutdown worked for few times

third, 'init 0' - helped for few times and after that I've tried as many commands that I've found so far and now for three times I've used 'halt -p' and everything goes down goodly. If I try just 'halt' that wont shut the machine down but if there is that '-p' it does the trick. At least it has done that for three times now and I can just hope it keeps working for ever.

I'll tell here if 'halt -p' stops working too...

-j.d.

Edited by janet.doe

• 4 weeks later...

I promised to tell here if halt -p stops working, well, it did. Halt -p worked about 15 times and after that I've been trying to find any solution to this annoying problem and there has been only one thing to do to get my machine to shutdown. I know now this problem is somehow related to alsa. If I disable all sounds and do nothing between login and logout then the machine goes down as it's supposed. So alsa is the problem, does anyone know any solution? Can't uninstall alsa - it'll uninstall allmost whole KDE and thats not what I want.

Oh, ofcourse there is an another way to shutdown the machine - just by pressing the powerbutton! :lol2:

thanks!

-j.d.

@ daniewicz: This is STILL alsa. OSS only works in the new kernels as an emulation layer over alsa, and alsa itself creates the OSS emulation aliases... say something like:

install snd-pcm modprobe -i snd-pcm ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; true

install snd-seq modprobe -i snd-seq ; modprobe snd-seq-oss ; true

...in /etc/modprobe.conf

@ janet.doe: What soundcard your laptop has?

Stopping ALSA trouble is very easy- just stop ALSA daemon, prevent it from loading at startup, disable (f)arts from kcontrol, pull yourself out of the "audio" group"... many ways really, but you should be able to do fine with your sound working.

Edited by scarecrow