Can't get built-in SD card working

Guest drfelip

Guest drfelip

Hi! Just joined the forum, I need some help...

I just installed Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 on my LG LS70 express laptop. Everything works fine, even WiFi, but can't get the card reader to work.

I've found a guy (Andreas Nuesslein) that managed to set up it, but under Gentoo. It looks like he recompiles the kernel, but I'm afraid of doing it, I never succeeded in the past. I'm a linux newbie, so I chose Mandriva for its ease of use (and catalan language support, too).

What's your advice? I paste here Andreas' solution here:

4.7. 4-in-1-CardReader:: Texas Instruments PCI7420

Okay all I know is that the CardReader works (I only tested it with a MMC-Card and a SD-Card, but i figured if two card-format work the other formats should work too).

Modified:

I now managed how to set up the right configuration so your card-reader will work:

make menuconfig

Bus options --->

PCCard (PCMCIA/CardBus) support --->

[*] 16-Bit PCMCIA support (you will need that 'cause pcmcia-cs won't compile w/o it.)

[*] 32-Bit CardBus support

[*/M] CardBus yenta-compatible bridge support

And don't forget to merge "pcmcia-cs"

I've checked the kernel source, and it's all compiled in with Mandriva 2006. I'm sure it's the same with LE2005 also.

You might just need to do:

modprobe yenta_socket

and then run an lsmod to see if the module has loaded. Then you should have more luck with it. I'd suggest, adding this to /etc/modprobe.preload but just add "yenta_socket" without the quotes, no need to put modprobe before it.

The equivalent to emerge pcmcia-cs in Mandriva is:

urpmi pcmcia-cs

taken from my package listing as below (from Mandriva 2006, but be similar for LE2005):

urpmf --name pcmcia
pcmcia-cs:pcmcia-cs-3.2.8-8mdk.i586.rpm
pcmcia-cs:pcmcia-cs-3.2.8-8mdk.i586.rpm
pcmcia-cs-x11:pcmcia-cs-x11-3.2.8-8mdk.i586.rpm
pcmciautils:pcmciautils-007-4mdk.i586.rpm

I really don't care about it that much as I use usb flash drives and I have a separate card reader(usb) which works fine but I have a similar Texas Instruments 4-1 card reader on my new laptop that doesn't work in mdv 2006. It's designated as "Texas Instruments PCIxx21 FlashMedia Controller" in mcc>Hardware.

pcmcia-css is installed and yenta_socket is loaded

I looked at the pcmciautils package description which is not installed. It indicates that the package is a bunch of scripts that will make pcmcia behave the same as any other hotplugable bus(usb, firewire) but that it requires kernel 2.6.13rc-1 or better. That kernel is not standard in mdv2006. I attempted to install the package anyway to see what would happen but it indicated that the package conflicted with pcmcia-css which it wanted to uninstall. I declined the offer.

All this leads me to conclude that there may be some kernel issues with this device; that it's not a problem with loading drivers or pcmcia-cs; and that the solution/kernel config may vary depending on which kernel you are using, i.e. the gentoo solution might not work with the mandrake kernel.

The same TI cardbus controller that Pmpatrick has does not work under Arch Linux as well (i've tried a bunch of possible solutions, none worked).

Not a biggie, since even under XP it fails to read my cameras (Sony Cybershot P-200) sticks... but since the cam is fully usb_storage compliant I could not care less- I just have to carry together the proprietary Sony USB cable.