Huawei ETS2288 fixed wireless terminal modem

Guest PIUS

Hi everyone.

I am using a Huawei ETS2288 fixed wireless terminal (FWT) telephone with a built-in modem to connect to the internet. The Huawei FWT is a wireless telephone using CDMA technology. It is connected to the computer via a USB serial cable.

It works well on Windows XP from which I am connecting now, but I would love to get it working on my Mandrake 9.0.

My Mandrake 9.0 reads it as TI USB 3410 device. It is not able to categorise its media class. My system is running kernel 2.4.19-16.

I tried upgrading to kernel-2.6.15 but had problems in that supermount was disabled. As such I was frustrated with the failure to use the CDROM devices and USB flash disk. Because of that I reverted to the old kernel that ships with MDK 9.0.

When trying the 2.6.15 kernel, I discovered that it has a driver for this modem. The driver is named ti_usb_3410_5052 but I did not know how to get the system to use it for the modem.

I also previously tried to upgrade to Mandrake 10 Download edition but the modem was instead being read as a scanner on one hand and also as an unknown device.

Help please!!

Pius

Chances are it's unsupported correctly with a 2.4 kernel, and as you know you need a later 2.6 kernel to get it working.

I would be tempted to use Mandriva 2006 as it uses kernel 2.6.12.12 by default, and is upgradeable to 2.6.12.14 once updates are applied to the system, and urpmi repositories are configured.

Check out this link here:

http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware

for which version supports your hardware. I wouldn't bother with Mandrake 10.0 or 10.1 as they are unsupported now. LE2005 is OK, but will be unsupported from about April or so this year. So may as well go to the latest and greatest with support until next year.

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to try upgrading to the newest kernel again. I had done so earlier but found that I was unable to use the CD ROM drives since the command "supermount" was not working. Any ideas on how to get supermount working when compiling the kernel from sources?

And how do I get the system to use the driver for the modem?

Thanks in advance.

Pius

Supermount is dead- ages ago.

Factly, many other mounting utils are either dead or obsolete.

The current way (auto)mounting devices is dbus/hal/pmount. If you want to use 2.6.15 series' kernel then you simply have no better a choice.

But have in mind that upgrading Mandrake 9.0 to kernel 2.6.15 is not a task for everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed installing the kernel was no easy task. I succeeded in installing it following guides from several places, but had problems with file systems et cetera. kernel 2.6 uses sys filesystem which is not supported in 2.4. So I am back to mdk 9.0 having the 2.4.19 kernel.

However I have since found another option of downloading and installing the driver.

It is available at http://gate.brimson.com/downloads

So far it does not install properly on my system. It reports an error as shown below:

[root@localhost ti_usb-1.1]# make install

make -C src install

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/pius/downsoft/networking/TI_USB_Modem_Driver/ti_usb-1.1/src'

rm -f /lib/modules/2.4.19-38mdk/misc/ti_3410_5052.o

rm -f /etc/hotplug/usb/ti_usb

install -m 0755 -d /lib/modules/2.4.19-38mdk/misc

install -m 0644 ti_usb.o /lib/modules/2.4.19-38mdk/misc

install -m 0755 -d /etc/ti_usb

install -m 0755 make_devices /etc/ti_usb

if ! grep "^post-install ti_usb /etc/ti_usb/make_devices" /etc/modules.conf > /dev/null 2>&1; \

then \

echo "post-install ti_usb /etc/ti_usb/make_devices" >> /etc/modules.conf; \

fi

rmmod ti_usb > /dev/null 2>&1

make[1]: [install] Error 1 (ignored)

depmod -ae

modprobe ti_usb

modprobe: post-install ti_usb failed

modprobe: insmod ti_usb failed

make[1]: *** [install] Error 255

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pius/downsoft/networking/TI_USB_Modem_Driver/ti_usb-1.1/src'

make: *** [install] Error 2

Anybody with ideas on how I may overcome this?

Thanks.

Pius.