*needed* software

Gowator

ABC flowcharter was fantastic, unfortunately it couldn't handle Y2k+ dates, it was, I think, far superior to Visio.

I believe that Access was another package that MS bought rather than developed and they have not done an awful lot with it since aquiring it. It is a decent basic database app and useful for lining to other databases (providing you use the suppliers drivers nad not the MS supplied ones).

It has a huge problem with medium to large databases and becomes very inefficient very quickly when put under strain. It is also a bugger to migrate to another system and will even cause headaches migrating to more recent versions of itself.

In terms of apps for Linux, a project management tool would be really useful (I have looked at some of the MS Project (another app that can't talk to its ancestors well) type tools and none of them see to work as well or have the same scope.

Leo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of apps for Linux, a project management tool would be really useful (I have looked at some of the MS Project (another app that can't talk to its ancestors well) type tools and none of them see to work as well or have the same scope.

Leo

There is a new tool now available (still beta but... at least something) and it looks promising. http://www.zimbra.com/index.html They have a nice flash demo and mandriva packages, too. :)

ABC flowcharter was fantastic, unfortunately it couldn't handle Y2k+ dates, it was, I think, far superior to Visio.

I believe that Access was another package that MS bought rather than developed and they have not done an awful lot with it since aquiring it. It is a decent basic database app and useful for lining to other databases (providing you use the suppliers drivers nad not the MS supplied ones).

It has a huge problem with medium to large databases and becomes very inefficient very quickly when put under strain. It is also a bugger to migrate to another system and will even cause headaches migrating to more recent versions of itself.

Fundamentally it is the migration that is the problem.

Even between 97 and 2k was a huge difference in security perms ..but getting stuff out and into real databases and real front ends is even harder. I even had problems on external drivers references through VB such as the ODBC calls ... such that TYPE=OBDC database needed replacing with TYPE=Base des donnes ODBC bhecause it was being run on a different language pack for XP!

That basically just leaves the front end... which makes a decent RAD except you can't actually get past the development stage without severe reengineerig...thus rather negating the advantage of the RAD.

Yes. Visio can be read by dia, although Visio is more robust. Incidently, Visio was not developed by Microsoft, who aquired the program (and the company) only recently. It is an example of Microsoft gobbling up good software rather than creating anything.

what version of dia you are using that will able to open a visio file.. thus saved as .vsd file?