*needed* software

Gowator

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

InDesign, Quark-Xpress and LinoPress among others come to my mind. All of them are needed for serious Magazine/Newspaper layout and the "Linux equivalents" don't cut it at all (they posess maybe 10-20% of the features that are needed for todays publishing). Lot of work to be done in that area.

Another thing Linux still lacks imho is a very good OCR scanning software (in Windows, there is e.g. Omnipage).

There isn't a Lotus Notes client, which up until recently had been a big problem for me. I have it running successfully under wine, and posted my Tips & Trick on how to get it working.

It's mostly OK, apart from the mouse cursor disappearing so you can only see highlights moving around. Can be a bit freaky at first, but you get used to it. A Linux client would be better, but no idea if IBM will actually do anything about it or not.

There isn't a Lotus Notes client, which up until recently had been a big problem for me.  I have it running successfully under wine, and posted my Tips & Trick on how to get it working.

It's mostly OK, apart from the mouse cursor disappearing so you can only see highlights moving around.  Can be a bit freaky at first, but you get used to it.  A Linux client would be better, but no idea if IBM will actually do anything about it or not.

Yep this is the weirdest situation, IBM and a linux version of the server but no linux client ?

I agree, seems like they only are interested in captivating the server market with offering a Linux version of Domino. But then not actually realising that maybe, just maybe, that they might be running Linux on the desktop too :P

When I was producing signs, there was no linux software that would design, RIP for wide format print, or trace to line art for a cutter. The software I used, Flexisign Pro, was available in both windows and mac. I used both. No linux. This is $5,000 per seat software.