XINE MRL

buccaneer

I get this error whenever i try to play a DVD in XINE or kaffine.

There is no input plugin available to handle 'dvd:/'.

Maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesn't exist.

I have installed libdvdcss and

I have altered the config to reflect the actual position of my DVD ie dev/hdd

Can anyone explian why I cant play DVD's

Edited by buccaneer

Doing a quick google search yielded some possible solutions. The first of which is fairly easy. Try reinstalling xine if you installed it before installing libdvdcss. Another possible solution is to make sure you are pointing to the right dvd location. http://www.mepis.org/node/6287#comment-196...1347dd337ea1336

About half way down the page are some instructions on how to link to your dvd-rom drives.

Good luck.

Did all that and still had no success until I took the DVD to my windows box and ran clone DVD. I then took the cloned version to my Mandriva box and hey presto it worked. Seems I still cant play copy write DVDs under linux but I can play most of my DVDs if I burn clone copies of them. Can anyone think of reason why this is so?

I had some issues with DVDs on several distros, too. I think that the problem lies in the coding of some newer DVDs. It was mostly very new DVDs that I couldn't use on my boxes. Funny enough, they didnt work on my girlfriends Windows-box, too. So I guess the libdvdcss needs some overhaul.

yes i have installed libdvdread.

and I doubt that the DVDs have ARccOS as i was able to copy them in my doze box using CloneDVD in combination with Any DVD. Any DVD strips away the CSS before the disk is "cloned" so im guessing there is still some problem with my libdvdcss.

If you have libdvdcss installed what happens with a 'normal' DVD ?

I'm having the same issues though I should note I never had these problems with mdrake 10.1, only after I upgraded to 64bit mandriva did I start getting this copy protection crap. Like you I have installed all necessary packages (dvdread, css, recompiled xine etc.) and pointed to the correct device with no result.

I am curious to know if you are running a 64 bit distro, if this problem might just be some development lag.