Changing Processor and MB [solved]

red

I have a 2005 LE box set up as a firewall/router currently with a P2 450 on an intel based MB. I acquired an Athlon 750 with VIA chipset and wondered if I will run into any problems just swapping the hardware out. Is there a different kernel for the Athlon? Will the os configure itself for the new chipset etc? Will a reinstall resolve any issues I encounter or do I need to start from scratch?

Thanks in advance for the input.

RED

Actually, you can manage this successfully by reinstaling and selecting "upgrade". This is one case where an upgrade is useful. There is no need to reformat.

actually, as all mandriva distributions are compiled for 386/x86 architecture you can easily go from intel to amd, or really any changes within the 386/x86 architecture, without need for reinstall or upgrade. during bootup it should detect any changes and reconfigure what modules need to be loaded, etc. i've done this with earlier mandriva/mandrake releases without a problem.

actually, as all mandriva distributions are compiled for 386/x86 architecture you can easily go from intel to amd, or really any changes within the 386/x86 architecture, without need for reinstall or upgrade.  during bootup it should detect any changes and reconfigure what modules need to be loaded, etc.  i've done this with earlier mandriva/mandrake releases without a problem.

Probably you are right, I guess it depends what the OP has to loose in terms of configs etc.

My worry would be that a device might get left as a ghost and proove hard to fix but I guess the option of a full install is always there anyway! (only half an hour to waste)

I386? The packages all say that they are compiled for i586 architecture, tyme. :unsure:

Anyway, the P2 and Athlon both work with the same kernel afaik. You can try to boot the machine and if it runs into problems, you can still choose Ix's upgrade method or a clean install.

:lol:

The only useful function for the upgrade option is this particular circumstance. Otherwise, upgrade is really quite worthless. What tyme says is true, as far as Mandriva working with chipsets. I made a suggestion that avoids "play time" and just gets it done.

Yes, tyme is correct, you need not do anything. I went from an Celeron 600/Intel 8210 to and AthlonXP 1900/VIA K7 without doing anything or having any problems. The upgrade option would be for something like a soundcard or videocard, but then there are other utils for that. The only thing I ever found the upgrade option useful for was if you fry a filesytem config or sys critical packages, or somehting drastic. It's about as useful as harddrake.

You can try to boot the machine and if it runs into problems, you can still choose Ix's upgrade method or a clean install.
That wouldn't be a clean install. I think you knew that, you just worded it that way. Edited by bvc