Mount printer on lan WinXP

Kowash

Hope you guys are enjoying your new year.

I have a problem with setting up my Printer, located on my WinXP Box.

Everything is actually working great. I have some problems but nothing is major. Sometimes SAMBA4K won´t work. It is unable to mount. With //smb/196.254.19.20 is working great. My real problem is with printing over the lan. Although SAMBA4K sees the printer, it will not share it in CUPS.

i know there is a way to manually mount the printer. I am unable to get those instructions again. Maybe that will be all I actually need.

I am able to ping the other PC

I am able to browse the other PC

thanx for the help.

Kowash

When I want to share one of my folders on my desktop i get the following

error.

An error occurred while trying to share folder '/home/kowash/Desktop/blaze'. Make sure that the Perl script 'fileshareset' is set suid root.

Does anyone know what it means and how to repair it?

Kowash

webmin runs from a browser. open firefox and go to http://localhost:10000.

u can set up all your services and maintain your system.

to answer your second question about file sharing im just guessing but it sounds like the file named "fileshareset" needs 2 b owned by root. do a search for that file and check and set its ownership and permission properties.

Edited by buccaneer

Hi

thanx for your help.

that webmin needs to much info i am not sure of. Sorry. I am not as well gifted as some.

There was also not a driver for my HP1010.

I got hold of my old one I used. Localhost:631

Once again it worked great.

I would still like to sort out that other problem if you would like to help me.

The other problem I have every time for this specific printer is that it will only print the first page of a document and thereafter the rest will be ¨printed¨ blank.

I thought that it could maybe be driver problems. How do we upgrade drivers?

Kowash

Edited by Kowash

if you log r lodg on as root open a browser like firefox or mozilla type "file:// " in the url line then click search type "fileshareset" in the search line, your browser should find the offending file right click with your mouse on file shareset and choose properties. a wiindow should appear allowing you to set its ownership and permissions.

Once you get the hang of things a bit more you should find webmin a very powerful and helpful tool.

As far as drivers go... HP have had a long history of supporting linux, u could check thier website for linux drivers for suitable for your printer.