Corrupted Mandriva 2006 Iso's?

sub-zero

Er, Hi, I'm kinda new here, and I'm having trouble installing Mandriva. (obviously) :lol:

I've used knoppix and decided I should have a linux Distro on my hard drive.

I downloaded the Mandriva ISOS using DAP (which probably also installed adware in my system x_x), and burnt them to CDs. Everything went fine, except that I noticed it ran a bit slow. (The default kernel is made for comps with 1GB of memory, I only have ~600MB) It froze half-way through the first time. I repeated it at least 3 times, (formatted the drive that many times as well), but nothing happened. So I realized I had to use the Alt1 kernel. So I booted that up (and had to change to a PS/2 keyboard since my USB stopped working) and installed it. However the 3rd Cd had corrupted libraries. So I decided to only use the first one and get the core system installed with KDE. It worked fine, and I installed the missing packages though the RPM manager. This is the part where I donno what happened.

I'm not sure if its because I was installing stuff in root, (that's a big no-no, I hear) or because the installer was corrupted, but after a couple hours of running it, (getting it customized, setitng up the effects and stuff) , KDE just point-blank exploded, and I was stuck in ICEWM. I rebooted and the system wouldn't start up. So I reinstalled it AGAIN. This time, I had to install 2 more times before it actually got through, and the system wouldnt boot up. I re-burnt the cds (thinking they were scratched or sumthing) and I installed it (from CD1 again). But it booted very slowly. I got it to work and while i was installing the packages, It froze and I couldn't force-quit it. (it seems very unstable x_x) So I restarted it, and now it wont boot past the root filesystem check.

I think when I used DAP to download it, it used several different sources and they may have been slightly different versions. I'm not sure though. Can anyone tell me what it was?

Sorry If my explaination is too long. I just felt like i had to explain everything that's been happening.

[i have 3 hard drives, 2 are for windows, and the 3rd is split into 5GB for Windows (mostly for swap) and 15GB for linux. One is a Seagate brand HD and it came with my comp. The other two are Western Digital and one is a slave to the CDROM drive.]

Some things to do:

Verify the integrity of the iso prior to burning with the md5sum file. A bad download will bring odd results. Next, always burn with good media at a slower speed. Having 600MB ram is not the problem.

If the draketools are corrupt from a bad download, odd behavour is again the result.

Go to this site and get the windows version of an md5sum check utility. Use the utiliy to check your iso files before you burn. Something else you said which is a possible error: do not unpack iso files prior to burning them. If you burn them as an image, they work fine, since that is what they are. No adjusments necessary.

Thanks man, and no, I didn't unrar it through winrar. I think winrar can check integrity too, but I wouldnt use it to unRar the files.

I'm gunna check the disks and burn them at x4 speed later. Thanks for the help.

Yeah I didn't quite get what the program said when I scanned the md5sum, but it said some files were missing. I'm thinking the ISO's might have been damaged, so I'm downloading them again with BitTorent which is a bit safer, and I'm also gunna burn them at 4x now.

Once again, :thanks:

I'll post again if I have anymore problems. I have a feeling I might stay around for a while here, even if I do get it working.

I just realized something. Since I used Torrents this time, I didn't get all the ASC and MD5SUM files. Do those have to be in the folder when you burn the ISO's?

[EDIT: I searched around and found that they're what that proggy I downloaded uses to check the integrity. Never Mind. I'll get them if I ever need to check the integrity now that I have new ISO's.] :oops:

Edited by sub-zero

New problem The iso i got through bittorrent makes Roxio Easy ?CD Creator think that it's a DVD. I don't have a DVD drive, and the checksum of the ISO is wrong as well. The other disks are fine. I'm going to have to re-download the first disk again.

[Edit: Topic continued at: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=30446

(I couldn't find this topic. My bad. :lol2:)]

Edited by sub-zero