nVidia graphic card performance problem

mini

Yep, I enabled fastwrites on the bios at first but still I had to "force" it in the modprobe file.

I then relogged in KDE but that was not enough, a reboot was necessary.

The perf. in term of FPS in glxgears is more or less the same but Quake 4 is now running really smoothly despite a poor 128mb fx6800. I played all the afternoon on using my toshiba 32'' flat panel LCD tv using the pc-in and I am still shacking from the experience (toshiba 32WL56 £799 from BE direct)...

Well, I m going back on it now!!!

Stef

:jester:

I have enabled Fast Writes with the relevant option to nvidia module. That was reported correctly in /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status, unfortunately no improvement to glxgears performance whatsoever :(

I then disabled AGP support completely with

Option "NvAgp" "0"

in xorg.conf file. This in turn did not decrease performance of glxgears whatsoever. Does it mean that my AGP doesn't work even if /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status says it does? I have been trying then to use nVidia NVAGP driver rather than standard AGPGART to check if that's maybe problem with agpgart. Unfortunately I can't use nvagp if agpgart was previously loaded and it does gets loaded. Since lsmod | grep agp produces no output does it mean that agpgart was statically linked to my kernel?

Anyway that doesn't look good, I probably shall issue a bug/problem report on nvidia website...

Thanks for help!

P.S.

chalex20 AFAIK there is no need to use "depmod -a" step to reload nvidia module with new options

I didn't find agpgart.* in /lib/modules/2.6.12-14mdk/ I guess it does mean it's a statically linked module. To try out nvagp I would have to recompile the kernel.

I would like to ask for a favor: could someone please who has an nVidia card temporary switch off AGP support with

Option "NvAgp" "0"

in xorg.conf file, "Device" section and let me know how much it decreased the performance of the card in glxgears!? I would know then if AGP is a good lead

I have an old AGP 2x 64MB GeForce2 video card.

With AGPGART loaded and an AGP Rate of 2X, glxgears gives 857

With Option "NvAgp" "0" glxgears gives 842.

Hope this helps.

only a 1.8% decrease, I expected more......... :o

Edited by daniewicz

Nop, I don't think agpgart is loaded by modprobe.preload. I had there an entry amd64-agp which I commented out but it seemed to be a bogus one. It did got reported as loaded in /var/log/messages but then I've tried also to load some fake module and it was similarly reported in /var/log/messages as loaded. I expect agpgart was precompiled in my kernel though I'm not really sure how can I prove it. Does anyone knows a command or text file listing modules precompiled in running kernel?

The difference between 857fps and 842fps is indeed small. Probably would be bigger for a new card that is more demanding on system resources!?

One more question: does running glxgears takes also for you 100% of CPU?