Mandriva 2006, Suse 9.3/10 & a network issue

RiccardoPini

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally would remove the 3COM and use the onboard Realtek.

I would heartily agree... even disabled they can confuse things so its better to take out the 3com altogether. The best way to remove is definately not to install in the 1st place .. if you know what you are doing 2nd time around then I think you will probably be OK on MCC just make sure you have all thye info first... otherwise you can add it manually which takes a bit more typing however trying with MCC and getitng it wrong IMHO makes for a harder mess to clear up.

A reliable and consistent easier than CLI way but more than MCC way is to use Webmin and choose networking and network interfaces. This is also effective in my experience at deleting interfaces.

MCC should do the job for you, so once the 3COM has been removed, boot system, then go into MCC also known as "Configure Your Computer". Choose the Hardware Option, select the Realtek card, and then click Run Config Tool.

Configure all details, leave search domain blank, as well as zeroconf as they are not needed for normal home use.

Ah got it you mean to leave all the changement under MCC but related only to the card and no super wizards about the whole networking setting...nice...also coz the eth must find all from the router.

Ok will do some tests during the weekend and post all here.

Thanks to all and see you here,

Ric

Ps. if someone would like to talk and exchange other point of views and or problems i'd like to leave here my email address: riccardo-pini@libero.it

Hi here im back with some news.

Best behaviour reached by the comp: leave the realtek enabled but with no use under mcc, static ip on the 3com, router always on, pc switched off but never unplugged. I could work so with many boots.

Linux Mandriva and also Suse really dont like this: only one eth. When i tried to leave only the realtek (honestly with apic and no explicit not use of ipv6) but with a simple static ip i get the usual behaviour.

Last test in program: leave realtek on in bios, no entry in Mcc and no ifcfg-eth0, no apic, no ipv6 and 3com with static ip.

To notice that every declaration of static ip under mcc it goes written inside the nic eeprom of the card and mcc itself even if the realtek is switched off (means yes in bios but no use under mcc), it shows the ip is already in use but another nic.

In mcc the wizard related to the lan/dsl etc setup has a priority compared to the other wizards like the config tools and the reconfigure link in the mcc.

Just as info: suse 10 eval dvd cannot even bring up the realtek. Also checked with full 9.3

I can't help thinking you have some HW conflict that is somehow remapped in winXP

I have found the realtek's a bit funny... I once had one that wouldn't boot if a USB bkeyboard was plugged in... and the netboot was activated ... and the bios wouldn't allow me to completely remove the device... (it appears remved but you can still see it)

I think that your idea of the epprom might be correct and Windows is actuially loading some firmware to do this .. ??

I can't help thinking you have some HW conflict that is somehow remapped in winXP

I have found the realtek's a bit funny... I once had one that wouldn't boot if a USB bkeyboard was plugged in... and the netboot was activated ... and the bios wouldn't allow me to completely remove the device... (it appears remved but you can still see it)

I think that your idea of the epprom might be correct and Windows is actuially loading some firmware to do this .. ??

Speaking about how a nic is used i think the politic is the first comes the first has the access and the possibility to handle the device. Anyway there should be the call to the chipset that handle the ip and the negotiation with the operating system. Honestly Linux is perfect, there's only this thing that should force a bit more the nic use. This is the idea i got readin the other posts in this and other forums.

Anyway i just added to possible "resolving configuration" the disable of the Apic and local Apic. Ill try when at home. Then it's left to delete the ifcfg eth0 and to disable the ipv6.

Hi to all!

News of the day: put the bios in the default setup values, disabled the realtek and Mandriva still see it and i had a nice ifcfg-eth0 all shining in the folder...pretty invasive hardware probing i could say...

Anyway, with no apic, disabled in the bios, but with the ifcfg-eth0 seen for the realtek and used with dhcp (which is disabled in the router) the...ehm...3com worked a whole night perfectly.

Other tests are in programs.

You could always disable hardware probing by disabling harddrake:

chkconfig harddrake off

it will also speed the bootup process to by about 5 seconds.

Id like to leave it as last chance :P , anyway other tests today and then ill report the result.

I know the topic became big and long but id like to give the max feedback possible after have seen that two diff distros react in the same way with my hardware.

Ok guys just for end the topic: it works but once in a while happens that the comp boots without the eth1 up so the best is to delete and recreate the entry using the mcc. Anyway when it's up has outstanding performance.

Too bad in a way coz i wanted to use the wake up on lan services for remotely control the comp.

Ric

If you disable harddrake, it won't detect the other network card and set it up. That's the best way to go forward, unless of course you've already stopped the harddrake service as I mentioned a few posts before! :P