New sound card [solved]

clevedonal

I have 2006 powerpack installed - all seems fine,

i got a good deal on a brand new Creative Labs Audigy 4 soundcard.

Mandriva control centre only sees it as Audigy2 value. alsaconf sees it as audigy2 as well.

There dont seem any drivers on Creative site....

I get no sounds at all, music or games/system from it. (i had a cmedia card in before and that played music ok, and games poorly) :wall:

Athlon2000+, Jetway m/b, 640mb, 2x200gb h/d (win 2000 and Mandriva) Inno Nvidia card. Pioneer110 DVD-RW

Audigy card works fine in win.

is there anything fairly simple (i'm a simple kind of person), that i can do to give me some tunes?

My fault for buying a recent card?

Any help and words of wisdom, or simple pointers would be appreciated!

al

I would try the following, open up a terminal and then:

su (supply password when prompted)
alsaconf

follow alsaconf all the way through, see if it detects it OK, and configures it. Sound will be muted by default, but this can then be sorted with KMix (found in Multimedia/Sound in KDE).

Then go into Configure Your Desktop, and the Sound section, and you can check/test in there, or just try playing CD's, mp3's, etc, etc.

Guest harbinger

a complete noob here, but this also applies to me. i followed the instructions above but get nothing when i type "alsaconf"' in the console aside from "bash: alsaconf: command not found"

what am I missing here? and thank your for being patient with me. i am in my 3rd hour of use

Did you use "su" to switch to root user mode before typing it?

If it's not there, you probably need to install alsa-utils if it's not already installed. We can check this with:

rpm -qa alsa-utils

if the screen comes back blank, then it's not installed. So, we can then install it with:

urpmi alsa-utils

and then once it's installed, you should be able to use alsaconf then. Although normally it's installed from my experience.

I have tunes! (and general sounds)

i ran alsaconf (sees Audigy4 as Audigy2 value!?! are there no updated drivers? ), Went into KMix> switches> and turned OFF IEC958 OpticalRaw. then i had music. I have "Tone" ON, 3Dcontrol + Mic boost + IEC all OFF, and Audigy analog/digital ON.

My card is using : snd-emu10k1 and music sound quality seems pretty good, though not controllable by software? only by speaker volume control... i'm sure i can sort that out...

IanW > Thanks for taking the time! :cheesy:

The issue of nonfunctioning mixer controls in many soundcards is resolved by defining a "model" option via MCC/Harddrake, or by directly editing modprobe.conf

However, not sure what should be put as model for Audigy 4 - I keep as far away as possible from anything Creative is making...

The snd-emu10k1 is the normal driver usage for the Creative cards from what I know.

If you found bad sound, reduce one of the volume levels, but up the other so that it's not distorted if thats the problem your having.

If not, glad your working with sound :beer: