Removing Firefox

Jaqui

Gowator said:

You just said its installed as a dependency solver but its not a lazyness thing?  How come Debian has a Gecko package?

AFAIK a functional Gecko rendering engine is still not available as a stand-alone application. Debian (and other distros) have some Gecko-associated development packages and stuff like 'gecko-sdk' and 'gecko-sharp', but they don't eliminate the need for Firefox or other Gecko-based product to be installed. I didn't Google around or anything before posting though, so I suppose that situation may have changed since last I heard. If so, then I'm an idiot...

Solarian wrote:

...when uninstalling Firefox I had to uninstall Avidemux too because of some twisted, unimaginable dependency.  What on earth does require a VIDEO EDITOR be dependant on a specific version of a WEB BROWSER?!!!

Good question for the Avidemux developers. I've never used it so I have no idea. HTML help pages maybe? Some option like conversion > or < HTML? Seems there's a lot of stuff that depends on Gecko for odd reasons.

It has no help pages at all, just the standart credits, license, etc. Anyway I think it's moronic.

I have opera and konqueror installed, could have used them if it needs, at least as a fall back.

Sorry for my grumbling, but I really dislike to be forced into installing a particular software I have no need for. Ok, so I don't directly use the installed package and it takes up little space, but still..

Edited by solarian

If so, then I'm an idiot...

Nope just a bit too quick off the mark.

I was certain because i actually took some time and tested ...

The problem is they haven't bothered to say it can depend on firexfox x.x.x OR mozilla x.x.x OR about 10 other sounrces of the gecko rendering engine...

Its not the fault of avidemux for instance its the fault (in this case) of plf who I am willing to admit do it all for free and are great guys .... but it doesn't mean its not lazyness ....

It could be that urpmi doesn't have the sophistication of apt ... which allows many optional depends and also recommended and suggested ... but then they should dissemble the gecko engine seperately... if you think if you install a real lightweight (1MB) graphical browser then why include 18MB of firefox to get the 1MB browser and 1MB gecko engine ...

One of my pet peeves in linux overall is there is no fully featured non-X broswer outside of mythTV. Ahem ... this could easily be achived but the sloppy deps like this (firefox needs X) means even if someone made a FB browser that needed gecko it would then need X and a whole chain of stuff.

...or Links2 - which I use most of the time (like now)?

As for apt vs urpmi - I really don't have a preference, one doesn't seem any better than the other, as far as the system itself goes anyway. Either one just does what it's told by the packagers. I got into one heckuva mess with apt-get futzin' up stuff a while back, much worse than installing an unwanted Firefox package. On the other hand, I installed htop on this box the other day with urpmi, supposedly successfully, but it has a problem. OK, I admit to cheating, not using a 10.1 package for htop (there is none), but still...

Stuff happens. Not gonna win 'em all with apt or urpmi.

Edited by Crashdamage

Links2 does.  Install it, type 'links -g' and you will see the fastest graphical browser on the planet, I believe.  I usually use it in text mode though.

OK now Im the idiot for not using the man page :D

I installed both ... just didn't try any CLI options on startup.