Removing Firefox

Jaqui

A simple one, uninstall this browser with the software management tools.

only problem is, some dip has made it a REQUIREMENT for half the software in the distro.

I use Mozilla Suite, not Firefox, I do not want Firefox installed at all.

so some dip's idea means either build from sources ripping requirements for firefox out of the distro, or switch distros.

bad enough that we get stuck with graphics under console unless we edit the boot options after install, now we are being treated to M$ style crap and having unwanted software forced on us.

I'm not sure if you have a question or just venting a little :mr-green:

I'm not even sure what the issue is you are discussing.

Are you saying that you installed the Mozilla suite using MCC and got firefox as well?

If you are unhappy with the Mozilla suite in MCC, just download directly from mozilla.org. I have found that the firefox rpm is slower than that downloaded directly from mozilla.org, and I always take this route.

I agree with daniewicz, if you don't want something that the dependencies of an rpm pulls in, then use directly from Mozilla.

On the other hand, if you want the rpm's because of ease of use, then you don't have to use Firefox even if it's installed. You can stick with your preferred browser preference.

Maybe there is a reason why it's a dependency, but you'd have to ask Mandriva directly.

my issue is,

why is Mandriva pulling a MALWARE practice and forcing install of unwanted software?

I do not want firefox sucking up hard drive space at all.

if I wanted an internet explorer look / feel browser I would use crossover office and install internet explorer.

Then your best bet is download direct from Mozilla.

Mandriva along with other distros will have apps that require dependencies. They must have a reason for configuring it that way. It's a dependency, and not malware. You're not installing ipinsight, or anything like that which can be classified as malware.

Firefox is a browser, it isn't malware, visit http://www.mandriva.com if you want to vent at them. We are not affiliated with Mandriva, we are a totally independant board of people here to help with problems.

Telling us that Mandriva use that approach, won't solve the problem. You have to tell them.

my issue is,

why is Mandriva pulling a MALWARE practice and forcing install of unwanted software?

if I wanted an internet explorer look / feel browser I would use crossover office and install internet explorer.

A bit harsh, IMHO!

It's not like Mandriva is forcing an install of the software, Mandriva as a distribution installs selection of packages by default, a decision they make as packagers and distributors to suit their intended market! They have not forced anything on to you, they are not forcing you to use it, are they?

As for some "dip", I believe this dependency affects more than just Mandriva:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20051212#3

Sometimes, there is more to a package than meets the eye -- especially true of Firefox. It's not just a browser (though that's what most people think) -- it's an embeddable HTML rendering library that's used at the core level by a majority of the Linux desktop programs that utilize HTML rendering. There is a lot more work than meets the eye when you do something. I hope now people see that the "I unpacked the damn 1.5 tarball, what's so difficult about backporting it?" argument does NOT work!"

That's why there's dependencies, it's the way things work, not an issue with a dip at Mandriva (OMG, i'm actually sticking up for them, I need to lie down!)

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

my issue is,

ugggh ...

However I understand your point. Having said that the mozilla deps were always deps in Mandrake in the past. Largely its just lazy packaging IMHO but if you think about the opposite in windows you install duplicates all the time without even knowing whether its a scsi driver or codec or whatever as soon as you use 3rd paerty SW like a CD ripper or MP3 coder.

In MS's case it is for commercial reasons but I think in Mandriva's case it is largely lazyness.

mnay of these are because it is the default browser for many help files .... and so far as I know the RPM equivalent of 'recommended' or 'suggests' doesn't exist ??

However at 20MB its difficult to worry about disk space for me....

I am guessing however you can force the uninstall and when you set mozilla as default browser it should be mainly OK and adding a symlink called firefox might help too....

As for some "dip", I believe this dependency affects more than just Mandriva:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20051212#3

Sometimes, there is more to a package than meets the eye -- especially true of Firefox. It's not just a browser (though that's what most people think) -- it's an embeddable HTML rendering library that's used at the core level by a majority of the Linux desktop programs that utilize HTML rendering. There is a lot more work than meets the eye when you do something. I hope now people see that the "I unpacked the damn 1.5 tarball, what's so difficult about backporting it?" argument does NOT work!"

That's why there's dependencies, it's the way things work, not an issue with a dip at Mandriva (OMG, i'm actually sticking up for them, I need to lie down!)

Actually Debian manage ... I don't wanna mess with my portage tree but I bet that does too.

Like I said above iots lazyness IMHO because those components can be split and also isn't the rendering engine the same in Mozilla?

i think the reason that it (firefox) is installed by default is probably because a high percentage of the mozilla-using world has stopped using the mozilla suite (seamonkey??) and has picked up firefox, thunderbird, and nvu (it is intended to fill the same niche as the web editor i believe). during the install i believe you can opt out of the inclusion of firefox.

so while it may be lazy packaging, or if someone feels that it's a bad idea, the bulk of the mandriva-using world doesn't mind so much.

and to second gowator, 20 mb just doesn't mean so much to me these days either.

Imagine the bloat using Windows XP instead!!! :P

Ugggghhh

However there is a but more to it.

For instance if you want to audit every piece of SW on your drive being forced to add stuff can be a pain. Lets say its professional environment and you have a checklist of libs and stuff which your organisation accepts including mozilla but not firefox.

Equally this is a good reason not to want to download and compile it yourself.

As JonEberger says ... most people are using firefox But I still feel its lazyness .. its not the default install but the fact they can't be bothered to sort out the deps. I guess equally if you wanted an install on a liveCD or CF card then 20MB can make a difference and you might prefer dillo or something weighing under 1MB.

It's not a Mandriva thing, it's not a laziness thing. Basically, there are several apps that depend on the Gecko rendering engine used in Mozilla or Firefox. If you install any of those apps needing Gecko, Firefox is installed as a dependency-resolver.

This is out of the control of Mandriva or any other distro. It's only under the control of those who write the apps dependent on Gecko, which are then passed along by (insert your distro here) for our use, and Mozilla.org. The only ways this can be solved is to either:

A. Don't write apps dependent on Gecko.

B. Don't include apps dependent on Gecko in the distro (which would tick some people off - why isn't xxx.app in the repositories??)

...or:

C. Get Mozilla.org to get it together and separate Gecko itself from Firefox so the whole browser dosen't have to be installed to satisfy dependencies.

I get around the whole problem by not needing anything dependent on Gecko and installing Firefox from the Mozilla.org package instead of a Mandriva rpm.

So, not **everything** is Mandriva's fault...now Kat on the other hand...uugggghhhh!

Edited by Crashdamage

It's not a Mandriva thing, it's not a laziness thing.  Basically, there are several apps that depend on the Gecko rendering engine used in Mozilla or Firefox.  If you install any of those apps needing Gecko, Firefox is installed as a dependency-resolver. 

Can you read what you just wrote? You just said its installed as a dependency solver but its not a lazyness thing ? How come Debian has a Gecko package ?

This is out of the control of Mandriva or any other distro.  It's only under the control of those who write the apps dependent on Gecko, which are then passed along by (insert your distro here) for our use, and Mozilla.org.  The only ways this can be solved is to either:

Except they can package Gecko seperately or actualyl act like real developers and actually split the deps so that Mozilla with the same engine would also satisfy the deps.

A. Don't write apps dependent on Gecko.

B. Don't include apps dependent on Gecko in the distro (which would tick some people off - why isn't xxx.app in the repositories??)

C. Get Mozilla.org to get it together and separate Gecko itself from Firefox so the whole browser dosen't have to be installed to satisfy dependencies. 

<<

I get around the whole problem by not needing anything dependent on Gecko and installing Firefox from the Mozilla.org package instead of a Mandriva rpm.

and I get round it by usiung a real distro with real developers!

So, not **everything** is Mandriva's fault...now Kat on the other hand...uugggghhhh!

erm but it is mandriva's fault because either their 'developers' (rerad packagers) are incompetent or they really don't give a toss ... I rather think its both!

The other day I was QUITE unhappy that when uninstalling Firefox I had to uninstall Avidemux too because of some twisted, unimaginable dependency. What on earth does require a VIDEO EDITOR be dependant on a specific version of a WEB BROWSER?!!!

I say specific because it didn't like Thac's Firefox.rpm

Anyways, I had to reinstall the Firefox .rpm because I need to use Avidemux

# urpme mozilla-firefox
To satisfy dependencies, the following 3 packages will be removed (33 MB):
avidemux-2.1.0-0.1.102plf.i586 (due to unsatisfied mozilla-firefox == 1.0.2)
galeon-1.3.19-7.3.102mdk.i586 (due to missing libgtkembedmoz.so, due to missing libxpcom.so, due to unsatisfied mozilla-firefox == 1.0.2)
mozilla-firefox-1.0.2-10.1.102mdk.i586
Is this OK? (y/N)

Edited by solarian